carburetors

1. rshane53

Carburetor holders

Hi all. I have recently acquired a set of 78-79 carburetors and installed on my 71 XS1B. I want to replace my old original holders with a new K&L set. Can I use the stock 71-73 style or do I need to change to the later 74-77 angled style. The carburetors seem to fit into the stock original...
  2. Muckroot

XSJohn's right side hotter theory - explored

In another thread on this site XSJohn mentioned something that would lower cylinder temps by 20+ degrees. I am REALLY interested in finding out exactly what John was talking about here, so I did some digging. XSJohn's comments are in blue for clarity. This is a start, but there has to more...
  3. Hightower-Ash98

Sold / Found / Inactive - ~82ish XS650 Carburetors

Aftermarket/original Whatever you've got. The dirt and grime got to mine and I'm throwing in the towel, I know nothing about rebuilding these things and I feel the expense wouldn't be worth it for a bike that originally cost me $150.
  4. robinc

On the road again at 40.............the bike that is

Today was the first time back on the road in 9 yrs. for my 77D. Not very excited!!!! Only had time for a few trips around the block, had to go to a meeting. Don't you hate when work gets in the way of play? A little history: I am the second registered owner since 1990 of this 77D...
  5. gggGary

Carb tips and tricks, 1st: throttle shaft butterfly screw removal

While snagging parts for a member with a bent throttle shaft I came up with this simple tool/fixture, it really helped remove the screws with no drama even with "pre fuggled" phillips slots. Sorry grabbed the wrong camera got blurry pics, stick is about 3/4 x 1". Clamp it in a vice, butt...
  6. W

Jetting cross reference

I may have posted this in the past, can't remember doing so.... Keihin, Dynojet, Mikuni Jet Size Cross Reference All Hole Diameters Are in Inches Hole Dia"---Keihin # -- DynoJet # -- Mikuni # 0.0350---- 92.5--------- 92----------- 86.3 0.0360---- 95----------- 94----------- 88.1...
  7. Mitchy mitch

1973 tx650: BS38 carb rebuild prices

Ive ran into a problems rebuilding my carburetors. I would rather have someone that knows what they are doing rebuild them and save me a huge headache.. Ive seen posts where people offer rebuilding them for $25 bucks each but i was not able to find them. So i was wondering if anyone can link me...
  8. H

To Ride or not to Ride

I have been a member for a number of years and keep seeing the same problems come , carbs and ignitions. Here is my answer. vm34mm Mikiuni's I did put a set of 38's on my last bike but that's anouther story. And for ignition the Powerdynamo ignition. Easy install on custom builds. Takes a...
  9. D

Carburetor Question

I have a 1980 Special with BS34 carburetors. It has Uni air filters with shortly mufflers. Compression on both cylinders is about the same. There are no vacuum leaks that I can find. The carburetors were re-build including new throttle shaft seals. The valves were adjusted, the cam chain...
  10. 82xsHeritage

Removed Left Hand Cover to Replace Stator Brushes, now won't start-seized?

Hello, So, my '82 xs650 was having charging issues. I checked the stator brushes and they were considerably worn, so I replaced them. In doing so, I removed the left hand engine cover, although in hindsight, I know I really didn't have to. While I was taking things apart, I realized that my...
  11. M

Engine running rich. I need help. Black spark plugs

Hi guys, I have a '72 Yamaha xs2 650 that I restored. It has carburetors mikuni bs38 (clean new diaphragm), new tank, new air filter. It also has new spark plugs but, they turn black and greasy on the ends. I believe the mixture is rich. How do I fix that? Should I change the needle high...
  12. lakeview

Weird BS 34 Variant?

I am cleaning up a set of black BS34's that came on Canadian '84 with a black engine. They are not all that dirty and they have gone through a few cycles in the HF ultra sonic cleaner. (I only use it because I have it, it does not seem to make much difference, but I tell myself that those...
  13. B

um, newbie here, mixture screw?

Just inherited a beautiful, virgin '78 Special II. I ride vintage dirt bikes, so I am somewhat familiar with carbs, especially Mikunis. The bike is great, but it backfires coming down from speed. I cannot find the mixture screws - anywhere. I've searched The Garage high and low, and no one...
  14. mason s

carburetor trouble.

hey ya'll, looked through threads and can't seem to find an answer to my problem. i have a 76 with bs38s, purchased with stock jetting. (122.5 mains) which i believe is the most lean they came. put some uni's on, and aftermarket exhaust. went up 1 size on the pilot and runs pretty good, no...
  15. N

To good to be true

I installed mikes Heiden rebuild kit on my 1981 650 special (5k) orig. miles. Mikes xs pods,and I drilled the back of the original pipes, 3 1/8" hole saw, And with a tapered reamer I reamed the 3/4" center pipe back about 4" The bike starts 1st kick all the time runs perfect through out all...
  16. K

Backfire through right side intake

I have a 79 special that wasnt running to good when I purchased it so the first thing I did was tear off the carbs and give them a good cleaning. The bike ran much better once the carbs where clean but it sometimes will backfire through the right side carb at about 1/3 throttle. I didnt sync...
  17. JRay77

Carb issues: choke on runs for a few seconds and dies

I have a 75 with a 78-79 2FO motor. Carbs have the stock pilot and jets.(135 27.5) Slide needle clip is at 3rd slot. Float height was measured when I cleaned and rebuilt carbs. I also used a metric grease zerk and some clear tubing to check height (attached to bowl drain plug) and it appears...
  18. 77xs 97Hartigan

XS650D sudden loss of power

Hey guys, I was riding my XS home from school, when it suddenly just lost all power and throttle. As soon as I got to the side of the road and stopped, the engine died and I have been unable to get it to start since. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this and what I should do...
  19. bonesaw

Carb sneezes and shuts bike off.

Problem: right carb sneezes and stumbles the bike to a stall. Idle is low because of the cam and if I set my idle any higher I get a hanging idle on deceleration. Why would one sneeze? Improper adujstment of the mixture screw? Tried dead cylinder method, the right carbs mixture screw is...
  20. cmills83

Carb slide doesn't go all the way down after installing Heiden Dyno Kit

I have an '80 with a set of bs34's and bought the Heiden Dyno Tune Needle & Jet Kit off Mikesxs. http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-dyno-tune-needle-jet-kit-for-bs-34 After installing it seems like the slides fall a bit slower but also don't go all the way down like they do with the...
Back