jetting

1. X

Bigger Mufflers

Hey fellas, I just finished retro fitting some short screamin eagle mufflers for a Harley to my xs. It’s just the tailpipe and the header pipe is still stock standard apart from chopping about 70mm off the last internal portion of the header. But the ID is still the same. I’m curious as to...
  2. S

High speed glazing?

Ive recently done some mods on my ‘79. Uni pods, Mikes pipes, shorty muffs and some jetting: 137.5 mains and 30 pilots. The bike runs good and starts in 3 kicks or less consistently. I pulled the plugs after maybe 100 miles and noticed the white porcelain around the electrode is a orangish...
  3. anthony44

1976 bs38 pilot screw

From what i heard, the 1976-77 bs38's dont have an o-ring and little washer against that sping on the pilot? Im having a problem where the bike hesitates and breaks up down low when its accelerating. I noticed the pilots looks like they had a tiny bit of gas around them as i was trying to adjust...
  4. Kubes42

Carb questions from another new guy! - New (to me) 78 cs650

Hey there, another new guy with more carb questions for those of you who aren't sick of them yet! Heres the story. -History Purchased a 78 xs650 with about 9000 miles that was kept just outside of the D.C. area, and brought it down to Mississippi. Bike is super clean, new gaskets just about...
  5. V

Help! My carbys are a mash up - what to do?

Hi guys, So I have a 74tx650a , that is running (never tested out how well) and hasnt been registered for a while (I know it was registered by the 3rd owner before me). So I thought I would give the carbys a birthday (float gaskets were leaking). So far they havent been too bad but as its got...
  6. ReycleBill

Thunder Power Jet

It seems the boat and snowmobile guys have known about these things for years. Even S&S offers a version for the Harley riders running S&S carbs. And perhaps I'm the last person in the world to learn about the Thunder Power Jet which according to the manufacturer, not only provides additional...
  7. cmills83

Carb jet sizes

My bike is running lean since the engine top end rebuild and I just wanted to see if anyone out there has a similar setup and what jets they are running? 1980 Engine/carbs, 0.25mm over pistons, Heiden Dyno Tune kit, pod filters and a 2 -> 1 delkevic exahust Also, is there a good place online...
  8. S

vm36 - where to start?

Currently running 700 ccm, je piston, shellcam#1 2-1 intake and free flow exhaust. vm36 27,5 pj, p6 Nj, 190 Mj overall i feel the bike is running too rich - rough riding at 1/4 throttle and a dead spot at full Throttle.. also the sparkplugs are BLACK .. now - should i start with changing...
  9. Terrible1

Weather change, stumble at idle and low end jetting issue?

Currently I have my bike jetted for the 90 degree weather but lately its reaching highs of 50's and maybe 60's. Well my bike has developed idle issues as well as 1/8-1/4 throttle flat spot. Here's a rundown of what I've got 74 TX 650 motor Pamco Ignition (original) Dynatek Coil NGK plugs...
  10. voelser

And again...carb settings..

I know there are hundreds of threads about this and I have read quite a few and I have also gone though a lot of the steps in them. But to no avail.... Let me set the scene: '78 XS650E, modified to have pod filters and straight through pipes. I am using the stock carbs (BS38...however going...
  11. Screaming Meemie

Jet it... And forget it?

Hey guys, jetting/elevation question here. Bought the bike in MN (elev.950ft) all stock, ran great (which I later couldn't believe due to the rotten air filters, oil filters, sparkies...etc). I hit 102 speedo-indicated mph with stock gearing. Didn't check the tach at that time, but I'm sure it...
  12. ercwndt

"Quick" Carb Question

I picked up a used set of carbs (in amazing condition, for a great price). They have the "1" style needle jet, do I need the #2 style needle jet. Any help would be great. Mostly worked with Dellorto PHBGs for previous projects.
  13. 7

jetting advice for short pipes

I have a '78 XS650. I went to short pipes. Looking to see what jets people are running on short custom pipes, they end at about the rear motor mount.. '78 XS650, BS38CV carbs. Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to know where to start. Also, I'm running UNI pod filters.
  14. Lluber

Need to rejet.. looking for size advice

Hey Guys, Looks like Im going to have to rejet my carbs. 83' Heritage special, Had a local shop sonic clean the carbs and rejet (I think they went up one size on the mains) they also pulled my airbox and put on pods for me. I cut down my headers and am now running the emgo shorty...
  15. D

Another jetting question : commando exhaust system

Hi guys, Thanks in advance for any help you offer, reading through many of the posts has already been very informative. I am new to riding motorcycles and also a new xs650 owner. I have a '79 special that is all stock except for a new Commando Exhaust system from Mikesxs (bike came without...
  16. Jimmy650

Pls Help with Carb Jetting

Hi, need suggestions for ballpark jet sizes. 81, BS 34's with xs performance 750 big bore, 277 rephased crank and cam, pamcopete ignition, emgo pod filters, 1 1/2" headers with prforated baffles, no muffler. on inspection my carb jets were not stock,(changed by some previous owner) 140 main, 135...
  17. F

Carburetor jetting help required

Hi guys, I purchased a 1979 XS650s last week and need some help regarding tuning. The bike is equipped with the standard 38mm carbs. The only modifications are K&N filters (OEM style, not pods), XS1 style header pipes, and Dunstall British style slip-ons. The problem is that the bike falls...
  18. Jawknee21

ANOTHER jetting thread. I know what I'm talking about now... I think...

Ok, so im going to try fixing my jetting. After a few months of 30mpg i think its time. Heres what i got, 83 Sk Bs34s 142.5 main 127.5 air Wheres the pilot jet? Under that rubber plug? I had the carbs completely apart today and didnt bother looking in there... 3 turns out on air mix screws...
  19. U

Keihin Base-line settings?

I am still trying to "sort out" the POs versions of tuning, so I can get my 79 running correctly, and I have found a few interesting approaches to things, such as tie-wraps around the clutch and throttle cables, pulled so tight that movement of either also moves the other. Also, the clutch cable...
  20. Jawknee21

Carb problems?

So my bike has been running perfect for a couple weeks. Almost decided to ride to the other side of town and more problems. I stop at the gas station and fill up and when I leave my bike feels like it wants to die but it doesn't. It drops about 200 rpms then goes back up while idling. I checked...
Back