1966 Honda CL77 305 Scrambler "Next"

Britman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have finished the 67 Dream and now on to the next one, this rust filled but damn good running 66 CL77 Scrambler. If there is any interest in it what it is going to take to bring it back I will throw up some occasional shots as the progress moves along......I guess everybody has their favorite run or line of bikes, my marquee is the short lived Honda 305 series. When this is done I will have the Dream, Scrambler and I will admit, I have been somewhat searching for a CA77 Super Hawk to complete the trio. I really have no explanation for the draw, I am a big old fluffy fellow and much too oversized for the machines, but damn they are a blast to ride and they were the rage back when I was finishing up High School a few years back. I have sold my XS Bobber and my 67 Triumph T100 to make some room and have a little paint and part money, so let the fun begin........

Attachments

• IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG
    432.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    861.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1740.JPG
    IMG_1740.JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 43
We've done a few 305 Dream's and Scrambler's. The Dream is a smooth... sedate ride.... not much acceleration.... then you get on the Scrambler and it's amazing what an added carb and a cam do with the same basic engine. I'm not a fan of the jig saw bolt together cam itself... We still have one on the floor... lower bars... great fun for back roads find a cup of coffee and a slice of pie along the Muddy Miss.... 😎

Some primer here and there. Damn good set of tins, tank had one small ding and light surface rust internally, no stress cracks on the rear fender, some heavy pitting on the rear of the frame but caught in time. Going to Caswell the tank today, Mother Nature is my paint booth and rain and storms have me shut down for the next couple of days......

Attachments

• IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1780.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 15
Aftermarket shocks, swing arm and steering head mounted. (Tip when assembling or disassembling a loose ball bearing style steering head set up-hang a five gallon bucket over the stem and you won't be chasing the little f&^*&$s all over the garage. Shocks are JBS out of Australia, great price, super fast shipping, and superb customer service....

Attachments

• IMG_1817.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 18
This comes up on my XS650 search on FB everyday. I really shouldn`t even be looking at this.:sneaky: In 1967 I wanted one of these so bad I could taste it "but" I was making a $53 a month payment on a new GTO and there`s no way I could afford a 305 too.:(
434713281_3308863286085463_8708572990249960642_n.jpg

(Tip when assembling or disassembling a loose ball bearing style steering head set up-hang a five gallon bucket over the stem and you won't be chasing the little f&^*&$s all over the garage.

Use a heavier grease and you won't need the bucket. :wink2:

Last edited:
This comes up on my XS650 search on FB everyday. I really shouldn`t even be looking at this.:sneaky: In 1967 I wanted one of these so bad I could taste it "but" I was making a $53 a month payment on a new GTO and there`s no way I could afford a 305 too.:(
View attachment 323324

That's exactly like the one I had in the Philippines in 1971. Same color and everything.

Good Times...

$53 a month for a Goat. You couldn't buy that car now for $53 a DAY!

View attachment 323324

Out of curiosity, what is the asking price? There is one close to me in similar shape at the asking price of 5k. Been on there for a few months. I can't justify that cost. If it were closer to 3k i might be a player though.

Don't you wish we could go back in time with our current checkbooks. I remember looking at a new 1967 SS Chevelle right after high school when I was a Dispatcher for the local Police Department. The payment would have been almost 70 bucks a month back then, a huge sum of money for my salary.....BTW the 67 SS Chevelle is without a doubt the best looking vehicle Chevy ever produced. I have a few beans in the bank now, but no way in the world would one be affordable this day and time with the price of vintage vehicles.....

Don't you wish we could go back in time with our current checkbooks. I remember looking at a new 1967 SS Chevelle right after high school when I was a Dispatcher for the local Police Department. The payment would have been almost 70 bucks a month back then, a huge sum of money for my salary.....BTW the 67 SS Chevelle is without a doubt the best looking vehicle Chevy ever produced. I have a few beans in the bank now, but no way in the world would one be affordable this day and time with the price of vintage vehicles.....
Do you have any idea how many 55-56-57 Chevrolet's and 64 thru 67 Malibu's we bought for $75-$150 and turned into dirt track stock cars back in the 70's? Just the interior and trim parts we threw in the trash are worth a small fortune.

Back