Acceleration problems

Re-read your first post, and I totally missed the clutch slip point you made...sorry about that. But backfire on decel has me thinking air/fuel mix is a bit lean, nonetheless. May still want to look into that.

Classic symptoms of a clutch slipping. Very possible the springs or plates are worn out. First thing is to check and make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly. Also you need to use the correct oil.
Thank you so much this was what I was thinking, it doesn't last long just a second or 2 and I let off the throttle a bit when it does happen. Do you have a suggestion for the oil, I'm learning as I go but find taking advice from more experienced people seems to be the way go, I have no problem doing my own research but find so many varying answers it can become overwhelming.

...a bit of research on the air mix screw and I thought it said that it should be 2 and 1/4 turns out. I put it in that position and seemed to run a bit better at first, it was no longer back firing at an idle.
The mix screw callout is a baseline setting. Set it there, then adjust as necessary. Perfectly normal to go up to a turn in or out from there for best idle. If you need to go more than a turn or so in, bump the pilot up a number. If you need to go more than a turn or so out, one size smaller. The pilot is your main idle circuit, the screw is for fine tuning... not set in stone at what the manual calls out.

If you use the wrong oil (labeled energy conserving) they have additives that can cause your clutch to slip.
Great to know, the gentleman that previous owned the bike also just had the oil changed, weather permitting I'm adjust the clutch and change the oil today, and cross my fingers that it isn't a bigger problem. Thank you again for help I really appreciate it.

If/when you go into your side cover be prepared. The clutch fasteners are JIS and need a proper bit and likely a $10 impact driver. Replacement Allen head fasteners are a good cheap replacement that are easy to torque to the correct setting. Do not over tighten them. Clutch plates and disc's and new springs are not too costly either.

The mix screw callout is a baseline setting. Set it there, then adjust as necessary. Perfectly normal to go up to a turn in or out from there for best idle. If you need to go more than a turn or so in, bump the pilot up a number. If you need to go more than a turn or so out, one size smaller. The pilot is your main idle circuit, the screw is for fine tuning... not set in stone at what the manual calls out.
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I know these bikes all vary, you'd think it was as old as me , oh wait it is. I'm still trying to figure these carbs out, my 76 honda has had some issues with carbs too, I'm starting to see a recurring theme. I've began attempting to remove the ethanol from my fuel and I'm hoping this may minimize some of my future headaches but I'm not really sure. I figured the suggested position for the air/fuel mix screw would be a good place to start then adjust accordingly, I may very well have an air leak somewhere as well. It's odd that it idles quite well with no backfiring now but seems to backfire moderately at intermittent times with no rhyme or reason noticeable to me and only when I'm decelerating.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I know these bikes all vary, you'd think it was as old as me , oh wait it is. I'm still trying to figure these carbs out, my 76 honda has had some issues with carbs too, I'm starting to see a recurring theme. I've began attempting to remove the ethanol from my fuel and I'm hoping this may minimize some of my future headaches but I'm not really sure. I figured the suggested position for the air/fuel mix screw would be a good place to start then adjust accordingly, I may very well have an air leak somewhere as well. It's odd that it idles quite well with no backfiring now but seems to backfire moderately at intermittent times with no rhyme or reason noticeable to me and only when I'm decelerating.
Are your plugs the same color and light tan or a touch darker. If yes then-
Check that you are charging at 14.1-14.5 volts at 3000rpm.
Check your ignition timing.
Verify your float setting even if you do it on mounted carbs, verify that they are the same.
Check your carb sync at idle and then at 2000 and 3000 rpm.
If all that checks good you may see some improvement by richening the idle air screw.
If you have a vacuum leak in either side, address that first.

Are your plugs the same color and light tan or a touch darker. If yes then-
Check that you are charging at 14.1-14.5 volts at 3000rpm.
Check your ignition timing.
Verify your float setting even if you do it on mounted carbs, verify that they are the same.
Check your carb sync at idle and then at 2000 and 3000 rpm.
If all that checks good you may see some improvement by richening the idle air screw.
If you have a vacuum leak in either side, address that first.
Will do thank you for the information. I adjusted the clutch and it took care of the delay in acceleration, however it's still backfiring intermittently upon deceleration, I'll check these things out. Thanks again

Will do thank you for the information. I adjusted the clutch and it took care of the delay in acceleration, however it's still backfiring intermittently upon deceleration, I'll check these things out. Thanks again
Please take what I say properly. You jumped on an old thread, no problem, but I like your enthusiasm and would enjoy this more if you would begin your own thread, add pictures, and tell us a bit about the bike and yourself. Any seconds?
Tinker Taylor.

Please take what I say properly. You jumped on an old thread, no problem, but I like your enthusiasm and would enjoy this more if you would begin your own thread, add pictures, and tell us a bit about the bike and yourself. Any seconds?
Tinker Taylor.
Gotcha that's why I prefaced it with I'm not sure how this works. Sorry if I jammed anyone up, I assure you that was never my intent. I am extremely inexperienced with computers, I have only ever sent a few e mails, don't use social media, and have never been involved in on line discussions or forums. I honestly am still trying to figure out how to start a new as pathetic as it sounds. Sorry again fellas.

When you buy your oil read the labeling. Oils specifically formulated for and labeled as Motorcycle Oils typically say for use with wet clutches. Other auto oils you need verify on the label that they're compatible, otherwise as has been commented they can cause slippage.
If in doubt change it before the clutch plates soak up to much.

The general usage on this forum may be a bit different than the norm, in that finding and adding to an old thread related to what your current concerns are, is thought to be fine or even encouraged, keeping lots of takes on common maint issues and tasks updated with the latest ideas and suppliers of parts, all in one place.
The forum search button is a bit anti old thread as there is some sort of age out factor that drops down or removes older threads from the results, Bummer.
peace n out.

Back