Are there any particular problems with the 1976 version of the XS 650 that one should know before purchase? Thanks.

prue1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Are there any particular problems with the 1976 version of the XS 650 that a perspective purchaser should know about prior to purchase? Thanks.

No.......
There are no particular problems with any of the XS650 models.
I suggest that you read the reviews in the cycle mags from that period, available here at this forum.

This is great, I just got one a couple days ago (stock through & through). I knew the history about it's design, but not much about its reliability and how good they last. Now coming here, for the first time ever, and the first post I see is this one with these replies tells me I got a good deal.

This is great, I just got one a couple days ago (stock through & through). I knew the history about it's design, but not much about its reliability and how good they last. Now coming here, for the first time ever, and the first post I see is this one with these replies tells me I got a good deal.
Congratulations!
Each model has their own personality.
Which one did you buy? Got a picture?

Congratulations!
Each model has their own personality.
Which one did you buy? Got a picture?

Thank you! It's a 1979 XS650 Special, I don't know if there's another denomination name for this model but that's what it is.

IMG_0709.png

And I did cap about the "all stock" because the mirrors are clearly not, and the cover on the right side was lost replaced with an another original one and repainted. I want to find the original mirrors for it and the decal for that part. The only thing I might change is the carbs may need to be re-jetted and I'll just turn the handlebars downwards, but otherwise it's in amazing condition and is perfect. 3.4k miles.

79 Specials came with a pretty desirable chrome steel grab rail surrounding the seat . The turn signals mounted to it too. Maybe you can find one ?
79’s are great !

Thank you! It's a 1979 XS650 Special, I don't know if there's another denomination name for this model but that's what it is.

View attachment 301759

And I did cap about the "all stock" because the mirrors are clearly not, and the cover on the right side was lost replaced with an another original one and repainted. I want to find the original mirrors for it and the decal for that part. The only thing I might change is the carbs may need to be re-jetted and I'll just turn the handlebars downwards, but otherwise it's in amazing condition and is perfect. 3.4k miles.
Nice!!
You'll find tons of info on jetting the stock carbs here. You could start with using the search bar.
A thorough cleaning of the carbs is typically first on the to do list before changing jets.

The ‘76 models are awesome. First year with linked carbs and leading front caliper, last year with 34mm fork tubes.IMG_5375.jpeg

Back