Don't you hate it when you find this?

Lou_TX

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
New (to me) motor. Finally got a chance to warm it up nicely and change the oil.
And when I dropped the sump floor, this is what I saw. Not happy about this. Who knows how long it's been there and how much crud went through the pump?
Naturally I will be doing some research to find a decently priced replacement. During just a quick cursory check, it seems that they're not cheap.
I'll also be searching threads here for a good source that won't ruin me financially.

BustedOilPickupScreen.jpg

Torn sump screens are very common as nearly all the originals are now torn. Yours does look to be severely torn and beyond repair.
Replacement filters are found at MikesXS etc.. and won’t “ruin me financially” as stated.
Also the oil pumps are pretty durable.
Oil condition and for how many miles dirty oil was run might just be a bigger concern for engine top end components.
How many miles are on your engine?

Attachments

• IMG_6976.jpeg
    IMG_6976.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6977.jpeg
    IMG_6977.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 13
You can repair that one. Most of us just "patch" them up with JBWeld. The screen makes a good backing for it and the repair is very strong (never had one fail) ......

Sump Filters.jpg

But you are actually missing some of the screening, so you'll need a small sheet metal patch as well .....

FilterPatch.jpg

FilterPatch4.jpg

The new filters from MikesXS (and other places) blow out as well, even though they claim they are reinforced. Well, they are, but if you look closely at one, you'll see the perforated sheet metal "reinforcement" veers away from the screening at the point on the right end of the filter that always tears, lol. So I ask, what good is it? I prefer patched originals to those new replacements. I think the quality is better. The screening is definitely a little finer too. If you look at the MikesXS one in my 1st pic that I had to repair, not only did it tear but the magnet fell out too, lol.

Y'all make me feel better by pointing out it's a common problem and it can be redneck engineered with some JB Weld or sheet metal. If all else fails, I can buy a new one.
The engine has 34k miles and sat for several years. The age and mileage of the oil is completely unknown. The oil came out pretty black, well used for sure. But again, no knowledge of its age or mileage.
Thank you for y'all's input.

Ebay. They're all the same. Check eBay. If you keep the RPM down until you get the oil warm, it may not tear. I'll never torn one, but most I've opened up are torn. Everybody else likely has the same experience.

Ebay. They're all the same. Check eBay. If you keep the RPM down until you get the oil warm, it may not tear. I'll never torn one, but most I've opened up are torn. Everybody else likely has the same experience.
I was wondering how that happens and high suction of cold thick oil is a good explanation.
Is that why I've seen people use 10W-40 in their XS motors?

You can get a redesigned sump filter with the flat gauze replaced by concertina gauze from China for around $50 Aust. I don't know if they are any better, but most on here fabricate a protector for the the end that gets damaged.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 14
  • filterguard fitted.jpg
    filterguard fitted.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 12
The engine has 34k miles and sat for several years. The age and mileage of the oil is completely unknown. The oil came out pretty black, well used for sure.
Engine condition is your real concern.
Not the cost of an oil filter change.
Research the cam chain guides adjustment and known failures in engines which were not maintained.
Check adjustment of that cam chain tensioner now!

Hey Lou. I've posted on this before and my solution may not be a popular one, but here it is.
While doing a routine oil change, I found what looked like a handful of gold glitter in the oil. When I dropped the sump plate you know what I saw.
I chose to trim off the ragged bits and reinstall the old sump filter. I was riding the bike to work . Temps sometimes in upper 20s, low 30s. I never went hard on the throttle when cold but full choke starts were enough. My "reasoning" was. If the screen was causing enough resistance for it to tear, was it causing cavitation, starvation etc. on startup.And would it tear again. I keep up oil changes and rely on the magnets and upper filter. This was 20+ thousand miles ago and no obvious issues yet. I figure I'll be due for top-end and cam tensioner service before this becomes a problem.

Back