I NEED NITRIC ACID ?

Can you drill a hole on the opposite side of the throat, directly in line with the stuck piece. Use a long home made punch to knock it back out the way it came in. JB weld the drilled hole

Last edited:
I can see the tip from the carb throat, but it does not stick out. Maybe .010" to .015" short of flush with the carb throat.

Filling fluid there heating with a soldering iron from that side ?
Different thermal expansion brass aluminum
small pin tapping / pushing ?

Can you drill a hole on the opposite side of the throat, directly in line with the stuck piece. Use a long home made put to knock it back out the way it came in. JB weld the drilled hole
I like that idea. I'll file that one away in the ol' grey matter.

If not too tight a 90 deg dental pick tool may work. If it is in really tight, drill a small hole on opposite side of carburetor and punch it straight out, then patch hole.

I've tried sewing machine needles, they're humungous compared to this hole. I cut them shorter than the ID of the throat and reduced the tip size of the needles with a diamond hone, even blunted the tip. Lined these up horizontally in the throat with the hole and tried to pry them towards the hole using the throat ID to lever on, they just bent and broke. I'm going to see if I can do the same thing with a small punch cut to size and tip reduced using a sewing needle as a gauge for the hole size.

Edit......Haven't done any damage yet.

Last edited:
Just want to add here that I personally have never turned a pilot screw clockwise into this carb body ever. I just removed the pilot screw to do the cleaning and noticed that the pilot screw was not "all there".

Call me cynical but I suspect that video gets
ichiban moto cards.jpg

It's kind of an advantage that the jet tip is recessed in the hole a bit. the hole acts to locate the tip of your extraction pin. I'd have a short pin of the appropriate OD drilled into the end of a lever then be pushing/levering up to send that tip back out the way it went in.
Devise a way to vibrate the lever as you push up...............

Last edited:
Used to use a product called Tap Out to remove broken taps from aluminum and stainless steel parts. Basically nitric Acid solution.
Haven't been able to find it lately. Another similar product, also illusive, called Tap-X Broken Tap Remover
Success will depend on actual metal alloy of carb body. Warnings on product is not to use on Zinc, Brass, any carbon based steels if you don't want to do damage to the base metal.

Options......................build a special punch, devise a way to pry

drill an access hole, build a special punch,
fix the access hole

play with burning acid and toxic fumes

Gotta say........burning acid and explosive toxic fumes sounds like a lot more fun

Last summer I had a slide sitting hard
If I had used force it ( carburetor ) would have been scrap today
If it is conical sitting with press fit and some varnish ( it is broken because of sitting hard )
So heat or chemicals is in my view better than drill or use force. Without it
So why not test the Acid ( sounds wrong ) on some other part first and then here
Probably wont destroy it as force can do.

How does a CB run on 3 pilots and 4 mains? :smoke:
I have three '81 CB750C's. This will be an extra bank of 4 carbs that will be put together with spare parts that I have. This clogged carb body came to me on a non-runner that I never tried to start until I refurbed the carbs. Easy to find this broken pilot screw while cleaning that bank of carbs. I had another carb body to substitute then. You know, the Sherlock Holmes thing. PO blamed his problems on the torsion choke spring, spring was fine, carbs were not aligned with each other causing the shafts to bind.

Edit.......So, those were the two main reasons that that bike had been sitting since 1986, the broken pilot screw and the misaligned carbs. Only 5 years use on that bike and stored pretty decent.

Last edited:
Back