XS650j 1982 : points, pamco or pony up..

Skarecrow

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So like the title states, I got myself into a pickle with a basketcase 1982 xs650j MOst of the parts were there, but many were not.. including the CDI ignition unit. I got voltage regulators (3 actually), two turn signal cancellation devices (wtf? like i need that).. It came with multiple engines a halve chopped frames and a slew of crap.

I realize this engine was wired for an electronic ignition unit but i'm missing that part. I have the top half of an earlier 650 that still has the points, and i also have a Pamco Pete ignition kit in the box.

The question is this: I need to choose a path of direction on how i will be wiring this bike and collect all the neccesary parts. Do I use the pamco kit? Do i (can i?) convert this 1982 to a points ignition using the earlier engine parts? or do I pony up and seek out an Ignition Unit (cdi) for this bike?

(part of me is frustrated enough to include D. Sell this mess as is and wash my hands of it.. )

Would love to hear some experienced opinions.

I'll admit that I'm very partial to the Pamco and have been running one for many years, almost since they first came out. Pete sent me an early one for testing and review, and it's never missed a beat. You'll need parts from your early top end to use it, namely the cam with it's internal bushings and the advance rod that runs through them. Whether or not you will need an advance unit will depend on which Pamco you have, the basic ignition only or the later unit with the built-in electronic advance. Mine is the basic unit that uses the factory mechanical advance, but it's always worked fine.

Dont give up yet.
Yes you can convert to points but will need some extra parts. I think this would be a last option and the money could be spent getting a better overall ignition.
Another question do you have the rest of the TCI system, rotor with magnet, crank pick up. If so then a Gonzo (GN250 TCI) can be made to work pretty inexpensively.

Do you have a good rotor and stator? If so you could use that for charging then a cam triggered ignition.
If not then a integral ignition and charging system may be the way to go. Options for this are Power Dynamo, Electrex world and I think Hughs Handbuilt.
If you have a good charging system you could look at other options for your ignition other than a Pamco (although I think genuine Pamco are no longer available). Tri spark and Boyer Bransen both make cam triggered ignitions. Also have a look on Hiedens tunings website he has other cam triggered ignitions. There are also other cam triggered systems on the market.
You will have to look at what you have that works and what you need to get the bike running. Then decide the best option for you and your budget.

If it was me with no charging system or ignition I would go Power Dynamo or Electrex World. Electrex world has a lower power output than the Power dynamo but was cheaper the last time I looked.

With a charging system I would be looking closely at a Trispark.

Pretty much all the ignitions available the will do the job and they all have advantages and disadvantages only you can decide what best suits you.

I'll admit that I'm very partial to the Pamco and have been running one for many years, almost since they first came out. Pete sent me an early one for testing and review, and it's never missed a beat. You'll need parts from your early top end to use it, namely the cam with it's internal bushings and the advance rod that runs through them. Whether or not you will need an advance unit will depend on which Pamco you have, the basic ignition only or the later unit with the built-in electronic advance. Mine is the basic unit that uses the factory mechanical advance, but it's always worked fine.

You can add the bushings to a later cam.

Yes, but it can be tricky. The holes in the ends of the later cams weren't finished off and sized exactly for the bushings. You have to do that and if you don't, you run the risk of splitting the end of the cam when you drive the bushings in because they're too tight. If you have a good early cam with the bushings already installed, that's the best and safest option.

Dont give up yet.
Yes you can convert to points but will need some extra parts. I think this would be a last option and the money could be spent getting a better overall ignition.
Another question do you have the rest of the TCI system, rotor with magnet, crank pick up. If so then a Gonzo (GN250 TCI) can be made to work pretty inexpensively.

Do you have a good rotor and stator? If so you could use that for charging then a cam triggered ignition.
If not then a integral ignition and charging system may be the way to go. Options for this are Power Dynamo, Electrex world and I think Hughs Handbuilt.
If you have a good charging system you could look at other options for your ignition other than a Pamco (although I think genuine Pamco are no longer available). Tri spark and Boyer Bransen both make cam triggered ignitions. Also have a look on Hiedens tunings website he has other cam triggered ignitions. There are also other cam triggered systems on the market.
You will have to look at what you have that works and what you need to get the bike running. Then decide the best option for you and your budget.

If it was me with no charging system or ignition I would go Power Dynamo or Electrex World. Electrex world has a lower power output than the Power dynamo but was cheaper the last time I looked.

With a charging system I would be looking closely at a Trispark.

Pretty much all the ignitions available the will do the job and they all have advantages and disadvantages only you can decide what best suits you.

This is awesome, thank you.
So to answer a few questions, maybe showing you the wires hanging from my engine will tell you what i have. ?

Attachments

• pickup.jpg
    pickup.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 10
  • stator.jpg
    stator.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 10
Well no, not really. Those are just stock '82 wires and plugs. What you want to show us is what's on the other end of them, your stator.

Yes please show us both ends. You will also need to test the resistances of the pick up windings, stator windings and rotor. Also check the alternator brushes are in good working order.
If they all test to spec you can work out what else you need.
Have a read of the charging system guide in the tech section. https://www.xs650.com/threads/expanded-charging-system-guide-in-progress.10561/
Also read here about the pick up https://www.xs650.com/threads/ignition-pick-up.60293/
Also check the rotor is a TCI one it has a small magnet in the outer slip ring. https://www.xs650.com/threads/rewound-alternator-rotor.54276/ Post #1 has a photo of Jim holding a TCI rotor that he has rewound. Someone may have slapped a non TCI one in there in the bikes past .

Yes please show us both ends. You will also need to test the resistances of the pick up windings, stator windings and rotor. Also check the alternator brushes are in good working order.
If they all test to spec you can work out what else you need.
Have a read of the charging system guide in the tech section. https://www.xs650.com/threads/expanded-charging-system-guide-in-progress.10561/
Also read here about the pick up https://www.xs650.com/threads/ignition-pick-up.60293/
Also check the rotor is a TCI one it has a small magnet in the outer slip ring. https://www.xs650.com/threads/rewound-alternator-rotor.54276/ Post #1 has a photo of Jim holding a TCI rotor that he has rewound. Someone may have slapped a non TCI one in there in the bikes past .
this was a working 1982 before someone yanked it into pieces, i'm looking into your info and will test shortly and get interior pix.

Ok if it was working then the chances are you will get it working without too much outlay.

Back