‘81 aftermarket clutch perch width

Blair_repair

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
4571445A-B929-41F3-9114-5D0701ED83D1.jpeg 1FE9B4A7-0737-48CD-A347-0C93A4DFF315.jpeg
I have an ‘81 and my clutch cable snapped. The OEM perch and lever has the place for the mirror which I don’t use so I wanted to switch to a perch with no mirror. Ordered one off mikes and the portion of the perch which the adjuster threads through is about half the length of OEM perch. This creates excess free play in the cable that free play adjuster has a hard time compensating for. In the photo, mounted perch is OEM. I know of the method of cutting the barrel off the cable a drilling a hole in it and soldering it at the desired length but I’d rather avoid that. I don’t believe I can make any adjustment in the case where the cable adjusts to either. Does anyone know of a different model bike with a perch that is the exact width to the OEM XS. Or of an aftermarket perch? Or of an extended cable free play adjuster that can compensate?
4571445A-B929-41F3-9114-5D0701ED83D1.jpeg
1FE9B4A7-0737-48CD-A347-0C93A4DFF315.jpeg

This creates excess free play in the cable
Best bet might be to actually shorten the cable a bit? You can buy barrels that have a set screw but for something permanent I'd probably hit it with the Zeus machine[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I had the same issue when fitting a Kawasaki lever and perch .....

2GaTZ8a.jpg

My solution was to fashion a shim to place on the cable down where it enters the side cover .....

or0vdxF.jpg

I made the shim by cutting the top off of an old cable elbow .....

eSgzrh2.jpg

QVRni48.jpg

LdbZRU0.jpg

I would still modify the cable, but I think you might find a good piece to make a shim with in the roll pins box at the hardware store. Squeeze it closed slightly to keep the wire inside

Attachments

• download (12).jpeg
    download (12).jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 146
That won't support the cable sheath. You need a "big" end on the shim for the cable sheath to fit into.

I had the same issue when fitting a Kawasaki lever and perch .....

2GaTZ8a.jpg

My solution was to fashion a shim to place on the cable down where it enters the side cover .....

or0vdxF.jpg

I made the shim by cutting the top off of an old cable elbow .....

eSgzrh2.jpg

QVRni48.jpg

LdbZRU0.jpg
Sweet! That seems like it should be easy enough to do. Don’t even have to buy anything, just chop up the old elbow! Thanks!

As you can see in the pics above, I initially cut the spacer a bit long. Then I shortened the small end up so it would fully seat into the existing cable elbow .....

Apong8l.jpg

That won't support the cable sheath. You need a "big" end on the shim for the cable sheath to fit into.
Maybe slide a larger roll pin over the smaller one, aligning the splits? Trim to length? The one you made is really nice but not everyone would have a spare elbow to sacrifice

Not supporting the cable is a good catch. However I wonder if there's not enough room for the roll pin inside the cover. That would be the best place to take up the slack really. Then somebody can ask...why didn't he shorten the cable :)

Back