“Garage built, shed built”... stable built!

This is last nights efforts, about an hour with green compound on a close stitched wheel, I thought the glass bead finish would be flat & smooth enough to skip anything more abrasive.

9EDEB7E1-EB3A-4D46-85C2-736C3FC158B4.jpeg

The finish ended up quite ‘cloudy’ I guess would best describe it?

I thought on it for a little while today and decided to see what a little time with a more abrasive grey compound on a sisal mop would yield. My thinking was that I needed to get the surface to a more even finish, am I barking up the wrong tree here??

I spent maybe 20 minutes on just the top section.

461B763A-336A-4B35-9693-C3DF7F27F010.jpeg

I feel like maybe after a little more time I’ll have it to a pretty good & even finish to move on with and polish to finer standards?

I realise I’m well and truly down the rabbit hole now but any advice or experience is much welcomed!

Last edited:
I realise I’m well and truly down the rabbit hole now but any advice or experience is much welcomed!
If you're going for the same shine as your fork lowers, you'll need to do the progressive finer sandpaper thing. I'd go 220, 320 and then 400 and see how it polishes then.

Wet sanded from 240-320. Bought a little cork sanding block, this has made sanding larger surfaces much easier!

BFE2564E-1B7E-47E7-8946-51AAF6744533.jpeg

I think I’ll work it to 600 and then on to the buffer. I’m hopefull by then I’ll have a handsome surface to polish. Looks far more even and much flatter already!

Yes, stiff, stitched wheels. The looser wheels are for finer compounds, which I don't use too often. I usually do the black then sometimes brown tripoli.

I have one sisal wheel and it is very stiff or "coarse". My other wheel is stitched cotton and much softer. I use it more. This is the sisal wheel I have. I actually bought two. Mounted together they give me a wider wheel. I stumbled across them 4 or 5 years ago for the ridiculous price of 15 cents each. It cost more to ship them to me, lol ....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R1PTIO?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I have one sisal wheel and it is very stiff or "coarse". My other wheel is stitched cotton and much softer. I use it more. This is the sisal wheel I have. I actually bought two. Mounted together they give me a wider wheel. I stumbled across them 4 or 5 years ago for the ridiculous price of 15 cents each. It cost more to ship them to me, lol ....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R1PTIO?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1

This is what you use with the coarser compounds?

Yes, both of these, but mostly the softer cotton one. Well, at least I start on that one. If it's not doing a good enough job, I'll switch over to the coarser sisal wheel. But often this initial buffing will reveal deeper scratches you missed and you'll need to go back and sand those areas some more.

Today’s a public holiday here so I’ve spent a couple hours this morning finishing the wet sanding of my top yoke.
Sanded through to 800 grit (just because I fancied going a little further)

AB0B55B8-08C9-4610-8DF9-6B0F9C5C759D.jpeg

Pretty happy with this finish as I’m going to take 5twins & Jim’s advice and move on to the buffer sooner. A coarse grey compound and a sisal wheel is my next move.

Yes, both of these, but mostly the softer cotton one. Well, at least I start on that one. If it's not doing a good enough job, I'll switch over to the coarser sisal wheel. But often this initial buffing will reveal deeper scratches you missed and you'll need to go back and sand those areas some more.

FC94AE34-4968-4074-9730-F1217C01C6B1.jpeg

Spent about 45 minutes so far with a sisal mop and a coarse grey compound.
I reckon I’m 90% done, just waiting on a 8” mop so I can work the centre sections of the yoke without fear of making contact with the body of my buffer.

Next step a close-stitched mop with a brown compound???

Back