$100 1982 Yamaha Heritage Special

Maybe my 9 year old, bulky, heavy and failing Ubuntu laptop should make way for a Windows doodah. Bah ....
I used to run a dual boot laptop with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Used GIMP on the Ubuntu side. It's a pretty good photo editor.

Not as nice as it could be, but it should be fine for now.
I'm skeptical about my need of the square holes. Seeing how I dont have the seat latch to engage them. Thank you for the measurements, if this doesnt work I'd like a measurement of the narrow end of the mount. I estimated it at about 2 3/4 of an inch
20191227_162431.jpg

Won't hurt a thing. After welding, no one will notice. ;)

Well, that's disappointing
If at first you don't succeed... ;)
Have a look here. Looks like your stud is welded too far forward on the bracket. The rear of the tank mounting tab should be literally touching the bent up angle. Try again, you'll get there. :D

tab.jpg

I don't recall what exactly happened but it went something like this..... I had some floats sticking or some shit causing my carbs to leak gas. Using the electric starter a wire shorted and smoked a wire and with the gas around....yeah things got a little hairy. Those starters draw a lot of amps. I understand why people use them but I'm still healthy enough to just kick mine. For wiring, I've been tearing it all out and starting over. Really can be time consuming but not difficult, off the battery to a fuse box. From the fuse box to what ever. Replace old filament bulbs with LEDs if preferred. They sell led turn signal relays which are nice. When you go to start this after years, be outside. Haha! Rusty gas tank? Oh yeah had to edit, if you need to check for spark, have a good ground. Like a jumper with a good clamp from plug to ground. Electronic ignition will fry easy!

Last edited:
I don't recall what exactly happened but it went something like this..... I had some floats sticking or some shit causing my carbs to leak gas. Using the electric starter a wire shorted and smoked a wire and with the gas around....yeah things got a little hairy. Those starters draw a lot of amps. I understand why people use them but I'm still healthy enough to just kick mine. For wiring, I've been tearing it all out and starting over. Really can be time consuming but not difficult, off the battery to a fuse box. From the fuse box to what ever. Replace old filament bulbs with LEDs if preferred. They sell led turn signal relays which are nice. When you go to start this after years, be outside. Haha! Rusty gas tank? Oh yeah had to edit, if you need to check for spark, have a good ground. Like a jumper with a good clamp from plug to ground. Electronic ignition will fry easy!
I've got one plan; Turn key, and kick. Beyond that I'm swamped

Hi, me again.
I'm plugging in just about everything I can. I need to get a new light control switch, but is there anyway to bypass the kill/start switch? Right now only the two red and white wires are plugged into the harness, the PO cut the blue and white, and the black wire out of the switch. I want to have the key do the power/killing function.

Keeping everything to do with this bike right here in this thread.
Update- Read a thread here that said one could delete the battery and start the bike solely with the kick-start. Figured I could, I was wrong. I'd would have needed a permanent- magnet type alternator. Big bucks so I'll forgo that upgrade.
Pulled all the wires into the battery box and rolled the bike outside. I grabbed the gas tank, took the petcock apart, as the fittings were clogged with some long dead insect, put everything together and put a small amount of fuel in.
1 kick
2 kicks
3 kicks and I get ignition, I hear three PutPutPut's and notice, quite shocked, that there is a stream of gas leaking out of every fitting, out of the bottom of the carbs, out of the back of the petcock. Seeing how the bike shut itself off after a that I quickly removed the tank, drain the excess fuel into a gas can, wipe them down, and extract them to a safe location while the bike remains in place.
Luckly, I only got the good kind of ignition. So good news, the Run switch on my handlebars seems to work, and the motor seems to run fine. Will I ever get the rest of the lights to work? Well, until I actually own and lights, the answer remains: Probably?

Ya know, I thought I was in for a budget friendly bike build when I saw the low low price of the harness, unfortunately every other part costs just as much.
If H-D stands for Hundred Dollars the XS must mean "In XS of $650"

Ya know, I thought I was in for a budget friendly bike build when I saw the low low price of the harness, unfortunately every other part costs just as much.
If H-D stands for Hundred Dollars the XS must mean "In XS of $650"
Consider yourself lucky you didn't take a fancy to a English or German bike.

I was going to mention earlier (and I should have) that it's rather foolish to attempt starting one of these (or any bike for that matter) that has sat a long time without first having a look inside the carbs to see if they're all gunked up. If they are, an attempted start will likely make things worse, sucking gunk all through the carbs and plugging them up worse than they already were, lol.

I was going to mention earlier (and I should have) that it's rather foolish to attempt starting one of these (or any bike for that matter) that has sat a long time without first having a look inside the carbs to see if they're all gunked up. If they are, an attempted start will likely make things worse, sucking gunk all through the carbs and plugging them up worse than they already were, lol.
I guess now that I've got nothing better to do, I could tear down the carburetors, with my luck I'd end up ruining something in the process.
I'm a believer in the prime directive; "If it ain't broke, Don't facking fix it."
In the case of Schrodinger's Carb, it's: "If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it breaks"

Back