$100 1982 Yamaha Heritage Special

I've been stalking the "What have you done to your XS today?" Thread for awhile.
Only thing I've been doing is backing into it and tripping over it lol. I'm ordering some fuel line parts to see if I can replace the old rubber stuff, new clamps, a y connection, and an inline filter, as well as the rubber mounts for the front of the tank. Since the PO removed the tank mount on the rear I'll have to buy a weld on bung or some similar part to actually mount the tank permanently/well-ly.

Last edited:
My $150 Heritage Special has quickly become my $450 heritage special.
I'm having issues getting it started again. I'm going to replace the stop start switch, hook up my starter just to see if that still works.
Getting a good workout using that kicker.
Question for people who know what they're doing (or pretend to)

My right carb is leaking gas out of the nipple on the underside, when I plugged it it leaked out of the intake end. I think its obvious that I need to rebuild these things, what is the best kit? MikesXs has a free different kinds. Also. I'm going to get those KN air filter pods because theres not much else I can use, Po welded some kind of support strut in where the OE filter box would fit.

Repost

Yesterday I took my carbs off, and "Cleaned" them, I found, dirt and a bug within them.
Today I reassembled the bike, added fuel, cleaned the spark plugs and tried to kick it over.
Went well, actually. Throttle cable fell out of it's space and got stuck on wide open. Oops. I put it back into place and kicked it again, and it ran for about a minute. Kicked it into first and it died out, only started 2 more times before it gave up.
Good news, it runs aight for a bike that sat on it's side for 5 years, fuel isn't leaking out of the drain anymore.
Bad news, my fuel rigging isn't getting gas to the right cylinder as efficiently as the left. I may opt for a tank with 2 petcocks to solve it.
More bad news, Had some vapor come out of the right cylinder, but not the left. Not sure what that means
Didn't burn my garage down, that's another plus.

Hey all, quicky for ya.
po replaced the stock T connection for the carbs with these two right angle brass connections, they're threaded in. Yall figure that getting Mike's fuel pipe would work? Not sure how to fill up the holes because these two separate inlets arent working

Attachments

• 20200229_153010.jpg
    20200229_153010.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 207
Your modded fuel inlets should work fine as long as they're not obstructed in any way. Did you remove the float needle seats and check the filter screens on the bottoms of them when you cleaned the carbs? If not, that could be your issue.

I'm not sure you could easily revert back to the original style "T" fitting between the carbs for fuel feeding. That part was just pressed into each carb. It was rubber coated and that thin layer of rubber did the sealing. Your inlet holes are all opened up and threaded now so I don't think an original style part will fit and seal anymore.

Your modded fuel inlets should work fine as long as they're not obstructed in any way. Did you remove the float needle seats and check the filter screens on the bottoms of them when you cleaned the carbs? If not, that could be your issue.

I'm not sure you could easily revert back to the original style "T" fitting between the carbs for fuel feeding. That part was just pressed into each carb. It was rubber coated and that thin layer of rubber did the sealing. Your inlet holes are all opened up and threaded now so I don't think an original style part will fit and seal anymore.
Totally dismantled the carbs and cleaned them

Back