1157 led

Grinder

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone found a 1157 LED replacement taillight bulb that is equal to the good old incandescent bulb? Looking to save a few watts but not become someones hood ornament in the process.

I've tried a few of the cheaper ones from there and they sucked!

I just looked at their site and they have a quite a few new bulbs from when I was last there. You might try the 115x-x45-T. It's 24.95 and they say it's there brightest BA15 based bulb.

I have one of these in each of a....79 SF, 78 SE (sames light really) and a 75 B. Stock lights with 1157 OEM bulbs.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ge2Disp=/specs/1157-R19W6_motorcycle_bulb.htm

Works great tail, brake & license plate for what it's worth. More than bright enough!
Haven't yet made the turn signal conversion but likely will. Every little bit helps the anemic power generation at mid to low rpm's characteristic of the XS. Blue

Edit....After discovering other options I previously missed, my reconsidered opinion is that more perimeter/side view lighting of the stock tail/brake light housing than the R19W6 provides is advisable. Consider other options described in this thread

Last edited:
Superbrightleds 1157-R18-T. You must match the LED color to the lens color, in this case, red. This is not a cheap item - I paid $40 bucks (including shipping) for two of these - they are worth every penny, noticeably brighter than incandescent and cheapo LEDs. Also, they are designed to emit light around their circumference, not just to the rear, so good for side visibility.

on the supperbrighleds.com website listed under 12 Volt Car Bulbs→Tail Brake/Turn there is a
BA15 Dual & Single Contact High Power SMD LED Automotive Bulb
"Select product" 18-LED Tower Type 1156 & 1157 Bulbs
Guessing that the 1157-R18-T means 1157 type-R(red)18 (LEDS)-T(tower style)bfrom what they list.
Personally my experience was ordering one from mikes. I didn't think it was very bright and it made the "light failure" indicator light up on the dash. I took it out.
Another member has bought a round truck trailer led light as used on 18 wheelers . Removed the guts and with a bit of fitting into the stock lense housing and used that as his light. The truck lights cost $20 around here. Found his post in my bookmarks. . From our brother weekendrider. A blast from the past from 650rider.com.
http://650rider.com/index.php?name=...storder=asc&highlight=led+truck+stop&start=48

Did any of you guys have to do some additional wiring to get your LED lights to work?

Last edited:
Travis, Pumps nailed it in his reply - the 18 SMD LED tower - exactly what I bought - $17.95 each, but man, you can really tell the difference!

Here are a some links to the three best options I can see on the site.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ge2Disp=/specs/1157-R19W6_motorcycle_bulb.htm

Advantage: White light projected on license plate, Red to the rear
Disadvantage: lack of side projected light around perimeter. Housing too dim from sides!

Here's the link to the R18 tower type 1157-R-T @ $17.95

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...spPage&Page2Disp=/specs/1156-x18-T.htm#photos

Advantage: Much more light projected to the sides (perimeter). Should be much brighter viewed from the sides.

Disadvantage: Less light to rear. Red light on License Plate? Perhaps not enough light to the rear??

This one strikes me as perhaps even better with yet more light projected to the rear with similar light to the sides. 1157-R-45-T @ $24.95

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...spPage&Page2Disp=/specs/115x-x45-T.htm#photos

Advantage: More light to rear
Disadvantage: Red light on plate. Higher Price....$24.95

Wish they had the tower type with a white light section or two for the plate.

Never the less, they've come a long way. Think I'll try the 1157-R-45-T and see how big a problem that Red light on the license plate is ??? More side projected LED light is a definite plus for pre 80' XS 650 lenses. Blue

PS...Plug and play with 'Posi-locks' for what I've done and will do Pumps

Last edited:
The best choice depends somewhat on what model XS650 you have - as a late-model Special, my bike has completely separate assemblies for the taillights and the license plate light, so I don't need taillight LEDs that also have white light to illuminate the license plate.

That 1157-R-45-T looks like it might work for me. I'm using a Honda taillight that has a nice chrome reflector inside and I don't need the plate light. All of those side mounted LED's should reflect some light off the reflector and help with the overall brightness I would think.

The other one I was looking at was a 48 light 1.85" round cluster. You can get it with an 1157 pigtail, but you would have to figure out how to mount it inside the light. They have a version with the 1157 base attached but it wouldn't work in my light.

http://www.radiantz.com/cart/index1.html?c14.html&1

Pumps it was plug and play. I had to put bullet connectors on the wires. On the standard I removed the socket. On the special I wired in the stock plug coupling.
This is the tail and stop lights.

Attachments

• LED brake light resized.jpg
    LED brake light resized.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 578
  • LED brake light  resized(2).jpg
    LED brake light resized(2).jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 570
I ordered and received the 1157 R-45-T bulb from superbrightled's. The bulb has 9 rear facing led's and 36 around the bulb. I must say I'm very impressed. This bulb is brighter that the incandescent bulb I had in there and it saves you about .3A on the taillight and 1.6A on the brakelight. I have a Honda taillight and it just fills it with light, more so than the standard bulb. The only downside is the price (24.95) but they say the cheapo's are not worth buying. Hopefully it will hold up to the vibrations of the XS.

Grinder, Very nice.. I almost ordered the same one a few days back but I didn't have my credit card on me. Now I can order one without worrying it's going to suck. :cheers:

aldo5468, it's good to know that even the 18 SMD LED tower is better than a 21/5w bulb. I may have to try one of those in my Yamaha Zuma.

Travis - it'll make you a believer - I'm a visibility nut, especially from rear - nice if it saves a little electrical current, but I really don't care, as long as it's easier for following drivers to see.

Atomic22 - yes, they will work - I bought that kind for my Virago (although you need to match the LED color to lens color; if your tallight lens is red, buy red LEDs) - problem for me is that they only project light to the rear - I have a Special with the big rectangular box-like taillight lens, so need light to shine out the sides, too, as brightly as possible. No such thing as being too visible when you're on a motorcycle.

Atomic- that led will work but just work. You get what you pay for in my opinion. Looks like the one I ordered from mikes that I didn't care for. Just my two cents dont waste your money.

Back