14 1/2 " shocks?

Bigfeet

to many projects
Reaction score
Has anyone tried 14 3/8 or 14 1/2 shocks on their bike. I know 1 inch over stock size is pretty popular but I haven't seen much on 2 over. FWIW its a 81 with a 6'4" sasquatch rider with a 36" inseam. In other words seat height wouldn't be an issue.

I'm running Triumph Scrambler shocks on mine. I think they measure in at around
14 3/8". I had to fab up a bushing for the bottom mount.They are easy to find on Ebay, I think I paid $40 shipped for them.

DSCF0292.jpg

2006-present Scrambler. My other bike is an 08 Scramber, Thats where I got the idea to use them.

I think modern Thruxton's are also the same and Bonnevile's are about an inch shorter.

Modding the stand is pretty simple. You just weld some plate on the bottom. How thick you make it depends on what length increase you need. I moved from stock to about 13 1/4" shocks and had to do this .....

ModdedSideStand.jpg

I also needed to make a new tang as the one on this particular stand was missing. I angled it up more and made it a bit shorter so it hits on the headpipe mount instead of the frame rail when up.

I just put Thruxtons on mine, and it looks like I'll get a little chain rub on the swingarm. I'm thinking of mayble a delrin guide on the swingarm will fix that.

Actually they're a great fit otherwise. I've read other takeoff shocks having problems with chainguard/chain clearance at the shock itself. The Triumph shocks have none of those issues. Fit perfectly with the stock mounts, with identical clearance to the other bits as the stockers. You'd be suffice to say they look like they were meant to be...

Last edited:
Back