16" rear wheel

jstraker

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, all. I am new to XSs, have been working on pre-AMF H-D (1950) for a while. I just picked up a 1977 XS650D and am pretty stoked. It is currently running an 4.75 tire on an 18 x 2.15 rim on the back and about a 4.00 on a 19 on the front. I am going the opposite direction of most on this forum and want to go lace up a 16 x 2.5 rim on the back and run a 5.00 tire on it like an Avon Safety Mileage or Firestone or Allstate. It seems to me like this should work if I take the chain guard off, but I am wondering if y'all know if I am going to run into problems here? Then the plan is to lace up the 18" rear to the front hub. Thoughts? Thanks very much in advance for your help - I appreciate it, and am willing to listen.

Justin

I run a 3.00-16 HD safety rim on mine, same as my ol' 51 FL.
You should use the 3.00-16 rim as that's recommended for 5.00/5.10-16 tires.

Not a fitment problem. This was on the later XS650s.

Attachments

• Rims-Tires-Hagon.jpg
    Rims-Tires-Hagon.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 178
OK, cool. I guess I like them because I have a 1950 FL running 16s. But...my XS rear hub is a 36-spoke hub, and the H-D rims have 40 holes. Maybe I am being dumb, but...how do I get one to talk to the other? Thanks, 2Many.

Well, whattayaknow. No, you're not being dumb, it's me. Looks like I've been out of the loop for so long, thought that HD safety rim 36 hole 3.00-16 chrome steel rims were still available.

Laced mine up over 40 years ago, got the rim from either Rocky or Drag Specialties back then.

Looked on MikesXS, and they offer 2.50-16, but no 3.00.
Searched the 'net, couldn't find any.

But, but, but, they just gotta be out there...

Yup. So far all I can find is that Buchanan's could build me one, and I will probably go that route if I have to. After my riding season is done in Oct. I have also put out the "WTB" word in this forum, and will keep my eyes peeled on fleabay as well. Thanks again for your help. Justin

Back