early xs650 production numbers

Kyd727

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
just wondering if any of the xs650 lovers out there can shed some light on
how many unit were produced in 1970,71,and 72.

ive had this discussion before online, and with friends, and i always get conflicting reports.

ive heard somewhere around 7,000 units in '70 and '71
and around 11,000 units in '72.

can anyone confirm or disprove these numbers ??

any help on the issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks folks

TOM

...sorry dude, i can usually find what i need but no luck here so far...interests me too

Can we go by the VIN numbers? Try to find the highest and lowest VIN out there for each of the years you need and see how many might be in-between? That might get you close.

I wonder if people are saying 7,000 in 1970 based on the VINs for the XS-1 starting at S650- 000101 and VINs for the XS-1B starting at S650- 007101.

Link to the thread inxs started to help ID your bike

yes,
but assuming you go by those numbers, then how many came to the us
how many japan and so on.

im kinda curious how many units actually came into the U.S.
people always say how rare the early bikes are, but i wonder exactly how rare??

Yeah it would be cool to find out. Has anyone tried calling a Yamaha customer service number and asking? I wonder if they'd be able to help out. I once asked them how many Yamaha Zuma scooters were produced each year out of curiosity and the lady kept asking why I wanted to know. She did finally give me a ballpark figure though but it was pretty vague.

- i know people and clubs who have enquired, yamaha dont appear interested in divulging this info...just like they wont disclose their paint colour formulas

The xs1,1b and 2 must be pretty rare i think...I tried googling xs1b just after I got mine and all of three pages apear. I'll check my serial number but I know it was built in june so it won't be one of the last that year. Does anyone know what an xs1b in original condition would be worth?

xs1b, it all depends on the condition. Have any pictures? Are you looking to sell it or do you just want to know if you got a good deal?

dude! ........sweet bike!!

i really love those old machines

btw, i just uploaded a bunch of albums if anyone intrested in checking out my "jap scrap" collection.

Back