18" and 19"?

m2bueller

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've got a '83 XS650 Heritage special so it has the 48 spoke 16" rear wheel. I'm building a street tracker out of it. The front rim I will leave stock.
My plan is to lace a new rim to the stock hub. Ideally this rim would be a 19" rim. I have had no luck finding a 19" rim for 48 spokes. MikesXS has an 18" rim and spoke kit for a very good price.
Will having the 18" rear and 19" front have any adverse effects on either appearance on handling?
Also, does anyone have an suggestions on a tire combo for this setup?
983685_10204068782259413_5006293890513269642_n.jpg

All Standard XS650's from 70-82 Had the 19"/18" combo. The Specials from 78-83 All had the 16" rear wheel.

There is a member who Dad set his up that way.
I thought it was a good looking bike.
Scot something or another. .. . .
Maybe someone else will remember the thread

I've got a '83 XS650 Heritage special so it has the 48 spoke 16" rear wheel. I'm building a street tracker out of it. The front rim I will leave stock.
My plan is to lace a new rim to the stock hub. Ideally this rim would be a 19" rim. I have had no luck finding a 19" rim for 48 spokes. MikesXS has an 18" rim and spoke kit for a very good price.
Will having the 18" rear and 19" front have any adverse effects on either appearance on handling?
Also, does anyone have an suggestions on a tire combo for this setup?

Hi m2,
street tracker just for the look, eh?
I'd swap in the 19"/18" deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels from a mid '70s XS650.
IMHO they are the best looking wheels the XS650 ever had and they plug right into a Heritage. If the front wire wheel has the earlier 2-piece aluminum center brake disk you gotta use your existing one piece brake disk, the 2-piecer from 34mm fork bikes is dished different so it don't line up with the 35mm fork caliper.
Tires? Normal street tires will handle better on pavement but for the tracker look, go for street/dirt combo tires.

Last edited:
I'd swap in the 19"/18" deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels from a mid '70s XS650.
IMHO they are the best looking wheels the XS650 ever had and they plug right into a Heritage. Gotta use your existing brake disk, is all, the wire wheel's stock 2-piecer is dished different so it don't line up with the 35mm fork caliper.

74-76 rotors are the ones mentioned in the post above. 77 and later rotors, (35mm forks), off the Standard models are the same as the Special/Heritage Special

You guys are answering my questions before I ask them.
So a mid 70s rear wheel will work with my stock rear brake setup?
It sounds like a '77-'82 front wheel is the way to go.

yes, a mid 70's wheel will work and your rear 16" wheel is sort after by some for a certain look

Any 74 and later front wheel will work on your bike, it is just the 74-76 wheel that comes off the 34mm forks will have to have your rotor put on it to match your forks. 77 and later had the same rotor as you have. In any case you don't have to buy the rotor, just use yours on any wheel you buy.

The 74 and later spoke wheels have alloy mud catcher rims. Earlier rims were chrome on steel and the 73 TX650 is the only full wheel that will match up to your forks.

Check out this ID thread and the model pictorial. The differences are plain to see.

Just remember if your going to be looking for dirt track DOT approved tires 19" is going to be the only one Golden Tyres from Chris Car CC4. You can find some Dunlop 18" tires not DOT and limited to find at times.
IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

I think he may be referring to the chrome plated steel rim. The '72 model was the first to use a disc but that wheel won't work. The disc doesn't bolt on, it fits into slots on the hub. No later disc could be swapped on.

Here is a fish file of the wheels, (74-79 Standards), and the parts that is required for the hubs. May help if you manage to buy some.

Yamaha part no and fish files and assorted other stuff Here http://www.biker.net/

Attachments

• Front wheel TXA-XSB-C 1.jpg
    Front wheel TXA-XSB-C 1.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 203
  • REAR_WHEEL_TX650AXS650BC.png
    REAR_WHEEL_TX650AXS650BC.png
    64 KB · Views: 220
Back