18" front and rear wheels on my xs650

Deadhead

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I want to run a speedo and tach for my build but I realize the ratio may not be the same due to wheel change. does anyone know about this. thanks ahead

Mornin Deadhead, welcome here.
The difference from 19" to 18" in diameter will slightly affect the Speedo read of course.
Can you better describe your goals as to wheel style ?
An example of an 18" spoked aluminum front wheel would be an SR400 front which may swap? Are you interested in lacing up a rim yourself?
Maybe you'd prefer a cast mag style front wheel such as a Yamaha Vision 18" which could also swap in.
Get is more to go on and pic?
-R

20200124_155749.jpg

Hi Deadhead and welcome,
running an 18" front wheel instead of a 19" means it'll turn 1.0556% faster and if you keep the stock speedo drive
your speedo & odometer readings will be optimistic by the same %age.
The tach is driven from the engine so it's readings won't be affected by a change in wheel size.
The photo shows a hardtail build and that's between you and your spinal column but what it don't show is brakes. Brakes is important and the life they save may be your own.

Last edited:
Hi Deadhead and welcome,
running an 18" front wheel instead of a 19" means it'll turn 1.0556% faster and if you keep the stock speedo drive
your speedo & odometer readings will be optimistic by the same %age.
The tach is driven from the engine so it's readings won't be affected by a change in wheel size.
The photo shows a hardtail build and that's between you and your spinal column but what it don't show is brakes. Brakes is important and the life they save may be your own.
there will be brakes front and rear disc all the way

Difference in circumference is what affects speedmeter and odometer readings. Numbers will vary a little with the tire you use, but using 3.14 for appproximate pi yields circumference figures of 59.66" for a 19" rim and 56.52" for an 18" rim. The difference is the same 5.26% you'd get working from diameter alone. Experience matches theory; I've run an 18" laced front rim on my XS650D for years.

Unless that amount of error doesn't concern you or you decide to make speed corrections in your head, you have a choice between replacing the speedo with an old one with the right gearing or an electronic speedometer that can be programmed to the circumference of your front tire. I've used an Acewell tach/speedo unit for around 14 years, and it's performed flawlessly. IIRC Dime City Cycle has them.

Last edited:
Difference in circumference is what affects speedmeter and odometer readings. Numbers will vary a little with the tire you use, but using 3.14 for appproximate pi yields circumference figures of 59.66" for a 19" rim and 56.52" for an 18" rim. The difference is the same 5.26% you'd get working from diameter alone. Experience matches theory; I've run an 18" laced front rim on my XS650D for years.

Unless that amount of error doesn't concern you or you decide to make speed corrections in your head, you have a choice between replacing the speedo with an old one with the right gearing or an electronic speedometer that can be programmed to the circumference of your front tire. I've used an Acewell tach/speedo unit for around 14 years, and it's performed flawlessly. IIRC Dime City Cycle has them.
thanks very helpful

Use an RD350/ RD400 tach drive? If the wheel fits your forks and axle, that is the straightforward fix. I assume your front tire will be slightly bigger than the 3.00 or 90/90 most commonly used on the RD400, but that will most likely correct the often "overly optimistic" speedo reading from oem setups.

Otherwise, grizld recommended an electronic speedo, and I agree. They can be set to be very accurate, down to 0.05% error, as wheel circumference is often entered in mm. I normally calibrate electronic speedos by distance. I reset the trip meter at a mile marker/milestone and ride for 10 km/ 10 miles, then check the trip meter reading. And correct the wheel circumference value as required, using simple math. The electronic speedometers actually measure distance (number of wheel rotations), and use their internal clock to determine speed. So using a known, longish distance for calibration is very precise.

Use an RD350/ RD400 tach drive? If the wheel fits your forks and axle, that is the straightforward fix. I assume your front tire will be slightly bigger than the 3.00 or 90/90 most commonly used on the RD400, but that will most likely correct the often "overly optimistic" speedo reading from oem setups.

Otherwise, grizld recommended an electronic speedo, and I agree. They can be set to be very accurate, down to 0.05% error, as wheel circumference is often entered in mm. I normally calibrate electronic speedos by distance. I reset the trip meter at a mile marker/milestone and ride for 10 km/ 10 miles, then check the trip meter reading. And correct the wheel circumference value as required, using simple math. The electronic speedometers actually measure distance (number of wheel rotations), and use their internal clock to determine speed. So using a known, longish distance for calibration is very precise.
Did you mean speedo drive from an RD400?

Last edited:
Back