18 inch rear wheel help

650cafexs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Looking to replace the 16" rear wheel on my 78 650 SE with an 18" wheel. Can anyone give me a run down on what I would need / need to do to make it happen? I see people talk about it, but haven't seen any instructional bits on it.

The switch is simple if you use a 650 18" wheel - it swaps right in. If your Special has a rear disc, it gets a little more complicated. You'll need to mod your swingarm (move the brake torque arm mount from top to bottom side) or swap in a drum brake swingarm. You'll also need the drum version of the foot pedal pivot shaft. The brackets on the back are totally different between the drum and disc versions.

If you want a cast rear wheel with disc you need a wheel from a SR 500 or XS 500. You might have to change wheel bearings to allow the stock axle to work. If your looking for a cast drum brake only '81 SH models had them. For spoke wheels, disc or drum brake, the stock spoke wheels from the XS 650 will work. One must use the appropriate swingarm for the brake used. Disc brake swingarms have the brake anchor on top.

Back