1972 Rear Cam Chain Guide Install??

Sgilliesjr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am brand new to this forum and to the xs650. I picked up a 1972 basket case and have gone through the entire bottom end. My problem is I cannot find any picks or how to orient the rear cam chain guide. When I attempt to put the jugs on the rear cam chain guide makes contact with the tensioner and I can't fully seat the jugs. I have looked and looked trying to find a picture or description of how to install it online and in my service manual. I am not sure if it is on backwards or the wrong fitment for this year. It appears to be the right one from all the diagrams but looks slightly different???

Attachments

• 209R.jpg
    209R.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 386
  • 210R.jpg
    210R.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 314
  • 211R.jpg
    211R.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
I was thinking were I might be able to find a picture of one installed so I went to eGay and started to search cases for sale in hopes of finding one and guess what I found? One the same year and it still has the guide installed. From the picture the tapered end of the guide is suppose to point up toward the cylinders not down into the cases. If someone can confirm this is the right orientation and the seller didn't take it out and install it incorrectly I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• 223R.jpg
    223R.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 310
Well almost 100 views and no confirmation on the chain guide orientation question? I can see this forum is going to be really useful and well worth my time.:banghead:

Here is a link to a parts diagram from yamaha that shows there are 2 different styles but it does hsow the orientation of both in the diagram. As for personal experience, I don't have any with that year so you may want to take it for what it is.

Thanks Ippy! :thumbsup: Ya, that is the same diagram I used to orient the tapered end down into the cases, and I know that is wrong unless i have the wrong year guide. I am probably going to just cut the cam chain master link out and flip it. Hopefully it will only fit one way.

I am not really sure how many people are looking for this info? If you are, you might come across a post were the writer says he thinks the early style rear cam chain guide goes tapered side down into the cases with the rubber facing the front of the motor. Well, he thinks wrong! The tappered side points up into the jugs with the rubber facing the front of the motor. I hope this info saves you or someone from the pain of listening to the wrong info. It bit me in the ass and I wasted a lot of time and some money correcting it after using that info:D

Hey Sgilesjr,
Thanks for passing that on. I am working on the time lapse version of reassembling my '72. I started putting it together last fall and got to the point where the cam chain tensioner wouldn't go back in. I pulled it back apart and bought all new gaskets, then the project went back on the back-burner. We're just finishing up Junuary here in Oregon, so with the sun finally reappearing I decided to get the engine back together. I was sure I had it right since I never broke the cam chain during disassembly. Unfortunately I just bolted it back together with the rear tensioner still positioned wrong. Looks like I'll have to do this again, only this time your advice will set me straight.

I hope I can remember where everything else goes. The factory shop manual is organized by section, so it's a little tough to just reassemble everything without flipping a bunch of pages.

Anyone tried the Mikes cylinder base gasket that doesn't need sealant? It's a real pain getting everything in place before the sealant sets up.

Third time's a charm - thanks for the post.

That's Sgilliesjr!
Sorry about butchering your username, I should increase my monitor font size. I got the S and the jr right...

Ya, the guide will bolt on in several orientations but it will only go on in one direction that will allow the jugs to seat correctly. You don't need to split the cases just cut the master link from the chain flip the guide and get a new master link from mikes. I have used all Athena(sp?) gaskets from mikes with no sealant. I just put a slight oil film on the gasket serface, havnt had a single leak yet! LOL, I havent gotten it back together yet either though.:laugh: I have been working on a 83 shovelhead and 06 twincam. I just finished the twincam and I am waiting for parts for my shovel so I am planning on jumping back in to the Xs this weekend. Don't sweat the name I have been called worse.

Back