1972 Resto/Retro Project

You two are certainly an inspiration for my long summer project: 1972 SX pretty much all there original but no ignition trigger. that seat foam was stuck to everything every where...looked like rust / bread crumbs. I'm going to have to go through the whole bike after I can get it cranked up for a minute. Funny that I had been looking all over for a *nice* original '72 almost nabbing one here or there. I found this 10 minutes from my front door. I love the way the paint pops in the sun after it cleans up. I can see the fine silver layer over the base coat and under the translucent red where some paint has worn..Since I'll take everything apart to check integrity, I will repaint frame where needed, probably leave the panel, tank re paint until next summer and focus on getting the bike running flawlessly.

Attachments

• P5110263.JPG
    P5110263.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 153
  • P5020190.JPG
    P5020190.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 150
  • P5110283.JPG
    P5110283.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 170
  • P5090231.JPG
    P5090231.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 190
Here is a photo of the bike pretty much as it stands today. I need an ignition because there is no trigger mechanism. Just gong to by some points to get a brief start up and listen to what's going on before tear down.

Attachments

• P5120316.JPG
    P5120316.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 188
Hello Bob!!!!!!!!!!! I was on the other day and looking for you but it kept returning a message that there was no one by your name and I was getting worried that something had happened.

Yes, I am getting ready to start a new Yamaha 650 project that I just picked up. I found a 72 that is probably the most original that I have ever seen. Probably 99.9% The problem is that it sat in a Minnesota dairy barn for nearly 30 years uncovered so, it is going to be one of those real challenging resto's that I think will be fun and probably cost me way more money than what its worth . I have a project on my table now that I need to finish for a gentleman in Ohio and then I will begin posting pics here in the near future.

My brother gave me a XS 650 calendar for a Christmas present and I was really happy to see you 650 on the cover. I told him the story of how we got together regarding the seat and it was pretty cool.
GEEZ, totally forgot I wrote the above in May...seems like a year ago.

Again, so glad to see that your still around. I look forward to continuing our chatting in the near future.

David
David, if you make a seat foam for your '72 project...please make me one as well for my '72 :) I'd like to get in touch..and see pics of your '72 XS. not finding early XS seat foam anywhere now...I may have to carve out the hard, petrified original and sink this seat into the appropriate spot (see photo). I'm in the same boat as you are with a 30 year "sitter" resto...but, except for the foam, seat is fully intact and cover pliable, together.

Attachments

• P7230655.JPG
    P7230655.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 134
  • P5020198.JPG
    P5020198.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
David, if you make a seat foam for your '72 project...please make me one as well for my '72 :) I'd like to get in touch..and see pics of your '72 XS. not finding early XS seat foam anywhere now...I may have to carve out the hard, petrified original and sink this seat into the appropriate spot (see photo). I'm in the same boat as you are with a 30 year "sitter" resto...but, except for the foam, seat is fully intact and cover pliable, together.

If you can’t find a replacement foam, there are a lot of how to’s in the online. I had seriously considered that at one point, the best ones I saw involved layering different density foam pads up and then contouring them. Buying quality foam is not an inexpensive proposition. I had also considered taking my seat to an upholstery shop. I had a fully custom made seat made for a BMW I used to have and it came out nice. And when I say custom made, I mean one that appeared stock but was all handmade.

This? https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS1...784606?hash=item2892ee549e:g:qp4AAOSwzZNb1iwa
@Mailman didn't you point me at this?
The seat I put on WJL was doing the same thing, a constant orange rain of seat foam particles EVERYWHERE. Found a different one with "good foam". It's either original or a long ago recover.
I bought one from that seller last winter.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/its-past-time-to-start-xs2-resurrection.53396/page-26
It fit well and sits well.
On a long trip it is going to get some help.

Thanks to the guys who mentioned the seat foam website yesterday..OK, started into that original seat last night and promptly quit...total PIA. This morning, Had to cut off a few small flat head screws that slid in a channel of the stainless outer seat trim band that were just turning in the channel with the nut. Then I could carefully slide off the stainless trim band. See photo of the cut out in channel where the screw heads can slip out , releasing the trim strip. I don't know if anyone has photographed this mess in the state I found it. The foam had a plastic cover on to which kept any moisture in the foam not out. I had to put the seat in a garbage bag to remove the black cover and plastic as the foam was the constancy of petrified charcoal briquettes! Some of it was just burnt sugar cookies. Found a pipette rubber trim along edge of the seat pan...it came off ok. Went to Lowes and replaces all the seat pan and outer trim hardware with same for later. Now, I have to brush off the stuck foam/ surface rust off the top side of the pan and let it sleep overnight in Evapo-Rust. I might even get something else to expedite the at surface rust removal. The cover is a toss up. In tack, no tears pr punctures,pliable but, YAMAHA is discolored if it was white....fixable. A nylon cord is still around the sewn edge below where the metal outer trim goes...I think I know where I stand now and can just get some foam and a little polyester batting (no plastic bag over it this time).

Attachments

• P7230669.JPG
    P7230669.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 112
  • P7230672.JPG
    P7230672.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 121
  • P7230674.JPG
    P7230674.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 113
  • P7240675.JPG
    P7240675.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 119
  • P7240677.JPG
    P7240677.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 106
  • P7240678.JPG
    P7240678.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 114
  • P7240679.JPG
    P7240679.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 110
  • P7240680.JPG
    P7240680.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 119
  • P7240684.JPG
    P7240684.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 111
  • P7240685.JPG
    P7240685.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 113
  • P7240686.JPG
    P7240686.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 113
  • P7240687.JPG
    P7240687.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 108
I read that several months ago now...just read it again, TY. Actually,logged on looking for something that stuck in my mind about adding another extra rubber someone suggested to keep seat level. That was an excellent job Mailman....as I type with heavy nitrile gloves. I have my seat pan in the garage bathing in acid metal prep and after sleeping in evapo-rust. light prime n gloss paint. I'm going to use the old cover since it is pre-stretched lol and all my clips and screws will located and hold cover. I found some 1''x 27" x cut off roll $16/ yd. poly batting I will try and fix, glue edges over foam and use clips,screws . This may or may not be needed other than to smooth out foam marks. found that at a Joann's fabric outlet. I did order the UK foam.....

Found that detail from 2014...x-tra bumper: Two Many.." Here's the bottom of mine. It's had a lot of welding too. The oval opening clearances the seat catch hoop. One weak part of the seat is where it 'floats' above the frame rail in front of the seat latch, opposite of the front hinge, so I added another rubber support bumper there (tan colored)."
>> https://www.xs650.com/threads/72-xs...ed-to-be-a-piece-of-rubber-under-there.38656/

Last edited:
Humm, forgot I had read your seat...post Greg. I might just shine up the old black cover and use it. I really don't like the way that UK company packaged your new seat.
They packaged it just fine. I screwed up opening it. I reused my original cover. The plastic under it was toast so I removed it from the cover. I wanted a vapor barrier between the seat and foam. I used a thin sheet of rubber. I'm glad I did. After getting caught in a downpour yesterday my seat had no water coming up out of the foam today.

They packaged it just fine. I screwed up opening it. I reused my original cover. The plastic under it was toast so I removed it from the cover. I wanted a vapor barrier between the seat and foam. I used a thin sheet of rubber. I'm glad I did. After getting caught in a downpour yesterday my seat had no water coming up out of the foam today.

Oh, wow, a water trap...I'll keep that in mind. yes, as an afterthought looking at that cut, it looked like a package opening cut...I've done that more than I can remember. I didn't want to ask.

Back