1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

1972 Yamaha XS650 project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scanney, Dec 20, 2019.

1. scanney

scanney XS650 Enthusiast

2. scanney

scanney XS650 Enthusiast

I bought a couple of Dico wheels. Sort of work, hoping they would do better. In any event, I'm getting closer to satisfying my perfectionist tendencies. I do however need to get the nooks and crannies. Any suggestions for getting the areas as seen on the attached pics?

Attached Files:

Greyandridin and Jim like this.
  3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I use 1, 2, and 3" roloc disks to get into tight spots. Have a look here.

Greyandridin likes this.
  4. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Yes, Roloc discs work pretty well. Don't use anything above the mediums though, it can remove too much material. I'd start with the fines. But, even with all these work saving power attachments, some hand sanding may still be needed. The amount needed will be greatly reduced, but you may still need some.

Greyandridin likes this.
  5. scanney

scanney XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I have been hand sanding and using the Roloc brushes for several days now. It's coming along but my perfectionist mania keeps me at it, hopefully I'll figure out when to stop. I'll post before and after pics when done. Thanks again.

Greyandridin and Mailman like this.
  6. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    I use my dremel tool and a lot of this stuff. 769C11B4-3843-497A-B034-627D118C1907.jpeg

7. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    Those 3 little stainless cone brushes are just the ticket for the side case bolt recesses. the black fibber ones work well with compound in the same spots. My Dremel stash is exactly like Gator`s.:thumbsup:

8. scanney

scanney XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks again. Good stuff.

Greyandridin likes this.
  9. scanney

scanney XS650 Enthusiast

Here's my before and after. It's not perfect, but neither am I.

Attached Files:

10. 5twins

Medium and fine Roloc discs would make short work of the gouges in that round cover .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. scanney

scanney XS650 Enthusiast

Total restorations are nice, but I'm partial to the "leave some patina and a few minor scratches" look. I don't want it to look new. I want the ridden with street cred look. Nice, but not perfect. However thanks for the tip.

Greyandridin and GLJ like this.
  12. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I just ordered a set looks like when all the supplies get here I can get side covers and rims shined up

Jim likes this.
  13. 5twins

Don't forget, there's buffing involved here after you do the basic clean-up with the Roloc discs and a little sanding. It's a process for sure, and sometimes once you get started, it's hard to stop, lol. I started out with this pretty decrepit '78 Standard. It had been ridden hard and put away wet many a time, used as basic transpo by some guy. If it broke down, he took it somewhere and had it fixed. Other than that, he did little in the way of upkeep or maintenance .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over the course of a few years, I got her looking pretty good .....

[​IMG]

Now I'm in the process of doing it all again on another, lol .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gggGary, Mailman and scanney like this.
  14. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I have never owned a bench grinder to use with a polish wheel
    I would imagine that you would use separate wheels for each color of buffing compound but when do you replace the wheels or just use em forever until they get ragged ?
    Like I said I'm totally new to this

15. Greyandridin

So far I found in forums " you are supposed to use a different wheel for every compound"
    so far so good

16. scanney

scanney XS650 Enthusiast

I used wet/dry sandpaper. Started with 400, then 800, 1,000, and 1,500. Then I used #0000 fine steel wool with WD40. I finished with Blue Magic metal polish cream. Labor intensive but came out nice.

Attached Files:

Mailman likes this.
  17. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

My usual progression goes something like this, if it’s got a lot of corrosion like this,
    53D6CB27-06CB-4E76-AF45-210F93B01B62.jpeg I start off with a blue Dico wheel and that’ll result in this,
    8A030642-1502-4DAB-9940-A588B389A3B0.jpeg
    Then progressive wet sand paper from 400 grit up until, 1500 grit gets to this point,
    E40B3F97-4F42-4FB1-96DE-95FA9B383B9F.jpeg
    Then hit the buffing wheels,
    Some guys like 5T have really nice permanent buffing stations set up. I have a really old Craftsman two wheel bench grinder that pulls double duty as my buffer. It’s not bolted down , I store it in a cabinet and drag it out when needed. My whole buffing set up is just two wheels , a stitched cotton wheel which is very firm that I use a black compound on to make the initial buff, then a soft cotton flap wheel for doing the final buff with, using a white compound.
    DDEBEE01-2929-4561-922D-1574AAF18DFC.jpeg
    Then everything gets a hand polish with Blue Magic. Note the fork leg on the left has not been buffed yet.
    F9598F9D-529C-4387-AA65-E8EDB2B0F54C.jpeg
    32EB2F84-5DEC-49C0-AB3B-06987806FBE0.jpeg

18. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Mailman likes polishing so much we all just send him our parts, they come back in a week like new. He even pays postage!
    :yikes:

scanney, Mailman, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  19. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Well shoot... thought I was the only one he wuz doin' that for... :er:

20. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Nothin makes me happier than shiny parts! :laugh2:

Jim, GLJ, Team Junk and 2 others like this.