1973 TX 650 Rebuild

Hi All:
I’m just catching up and let me thank both Totalfool and Lakeview. This is a wonderful outcome to the sad loss of our mutual friend RobinC.

Totalfool (John) did an excellent job rebuilding and polishing the seized and VERY badly corroded 1973 engine and he also cleaned and painted the frame, battery box and airboxes. As Lakeview has said, John’s arthritis made further progress just too difficult and so he has wisely passed this treasured bike along to another aficionado.

As I read the postings since just the other day (Tuesday Nov. 19) when Lakeview and I nipped up to London to get the 1973 parts, I am delighted, but frankly, not all that surprised at the remarkable progress that he has made in getting the ‘73 TX650 up and running again.

As I have said previously, “that Lakeview - he’s a hard worker!”

Go get ‘em Angus and lemme know when you need a hand. I’ll be there in a flash!

Pete

Last edited:
Today the tins went to a painter who has done work for me before. As always, the colour match is a bear and he will handle that. Accordingly, while I was going to run the side covers as is, to have all them the same hue, he will paint everything. I left a decal set from "Mikes" for him to install as well. Should be ready by late January.
Now, on to installing tapered steering bearings and turning it into a roller with some temp wheels on it. It will get respoked wheels by spring. Given the investment in the paint job, everything else has to be "grand".

20191128_162158-1.jpg
Swing Arm in Place
New bushes, bolt, seals and pivot tube went together nicely. Place holder shocks. Fender set on, would like to find a better one.

View attachment 155029
Swing Arm in Place
New bushes, bolt, seals and pivot tube went together nicely. Place holder shocks. Fender set on, would like to find a better one.
Angus, I've got an XS1 rear fender that looks to be in better shape... and I think they're the same. PM me and I'll send some pics if you're interested. If it's the same fender, I'll gladly donate it to Robins bike.

One more question tonight-and Happy Thanksgiving to all American "cousins"-
pictured is a mount ( a matching one on the other side of the frame) which I am sure will take a rubber bushing similar to what is used on the battery box, but I do not see in my box of parts what fastens to it. I am guessing it is a fender bracket/ brace/mount as there is one large hole and 2 small holes in the fender about in the right spot.
None of the sites I go to for fiches provide one for a 73 frame. Another pic next post.
Edit 30/11: Being so used to getting info from the internet, I forgot that in the dark ages, we used to refer to books, owners manuals and so on. Page 120 of my Clymers has exactly what I was looking for as well pages of specs that you can take out to the bench and leave greasy finger prints all over.

Attachments

• 20191128_164418.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
Last edited:
20191128_190348.jpg
That's the set of holes I have nothing to go into which may be related to the mounts.

Here’s another angle on those fender bumpers.
10292E58-D471-478A-A607-B3B480C2FC65.jpeg

Angus, if you look in my albums collections in the gallery section, I have 400 photos in various albums. Most of them relate to my XS2 assembly.

Found it. Here's my XS1 fender. You can see where the rubber "snubbers" have rubbed on the fender...

IMG_20191128_185451.jpg

... and as Gary sez, you have extra holes there.

IMG_20191128_185413.jpg

I'll get some better pics tomorrow and put 'em up.

Back