1973 TX650 Rear Axle Problem

After receiving my new axle, bearings and top-hat spacer, I put everything back together. I have a few small questions:
1. The brake side seal doesn't fit flush with the hub. It's sits outside the hub slightly and the sprocket side seal is recessed into the hub. I'm 99% sure both bearings are properly seated all the way into the hub but is it an issue that the seals are not flush with the hub? Seems strange.
2. After reassembling everything and making sure my adjusters are the same size I have the axle nut threading way down the threads and to the shoulder of the axle. I don't know why, as my chain seems to run straight and I have all the correct parts assembled. I am simply using a few washers right now to make sure the axle nut is not bottoming out on the axle shoulder and preventing tightening. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks everyone.
image1.jpeg

On my TC Bros hard tail I put one 3/4" washer on each side of the axle plates, inside of the chain adjusters, or one for sure. Otherwise you could see the chain adjusters being unnaturally squashed. The axle plates were considerably narrower than the width of the chain adjusters. The crown nut is on the opposite side from what you show.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 203
You have a mix of parts there. I don't think your adjusters are stock, somehow they are narrower than stock, other peoples spacing of adjusters for a TC Bros hardtail will not work with the adjusters that you have. That right side spacer is not stock size, another reason your setup is different. Really don't know how to tell you to place washers/spacers other than to tell you that TC Bros designed that hardtail (or any other hardtail using 3/8" axle plates and late model axle) to be used with a total of 8-1/2" of hardware between the axle plates. With stock adjusters and right hand side spacer I could tell you what to do.

Scott

Last edited:
Some reference info.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-axle-vs-years.529/#post-583396

... The brake side seal doesn't fit flush with the hub. It's sits outside the hub slightly and the sprocket side seal is recessed into the hub. I'm 99% sure both bearings are properly seated all the way into the hub but is it an issue that the seals are not flush with the hub?

Watch out for rear wheel bearing kits that include seals. A set I received last year had 1 seal of wrong ID, the other of wrong thickness. I believe that member peanut ran into this a few years ago...

Back