1973 TX650 Starter Replacement

Ziplockbaggie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've been tinkering with a 1973 TX650 that Dad bought new for several years now. Ditched the points, repaired things that were broken, and just riding the bike as much as possible. So, in the last few months I sense that the starter is just not spinning as strong as it did decades ago....Time to replace, but I cant find any good sources. The original starter is marked as a Hitachi S108-35.

Bring on the leads and sources. Not trying to reinvent the wheel here.

Thanks,
Michael Morgan

On my 72, it was suggested that the earlier model starters were weak compared to later years and I could 'upgrade' by installing a starter from a later year. Didn't do it, cuz I'm kickstart only, but it was suggested... EGGSPURTS; whattya think?

I've heard the same, but came across an old 73-74? TX650 Cycle World (?) review that talks about crank twist problems on the 72-73 (?), and reports that Yamaha 'downgraded' the starter to prevent that.
So, there's your mystery...

saw the rumors but can't confirm. What I can say is I have a 73 that I've started/ridden a fair number of times and many later bikes and don't notice a difference between them in spite of the smaller 73 battery. As always with electrical problems R&R the simple, cheap stuff first; Battery tested strong, ground strap solid no corrosion , any and all other electrical connections, wires. Especially the two big starter hots. Try shorting the solenoid terminals see if that makes a difference. After all that then pull, check, starter for; brushes, contaminated stator, oil leaks bad bushings, etc. AFAIK you CAN swap in any year starter. I have seen the starter twisted the crank article but I think a grain of salt might be in order. These things CAN scissors the crank (I did it on a 79) but a too strong electric leg doesn't seem like the most likely suspect. On a different bike with a weak starter, on disassembly I found the starter full of an oil carbon sludge, hard to believe it worked at all.

The starter just seems to lag sometimes. The other day there was no action at all when I attempted to crank. Push started and rode it home. Cut it off and it fired right back up. I've already pulled the starter. Is a minor refresher in order? Haven't cracked into it yet. MM

They are rather simple, take pictures on the way in especially the brush plate area. mark the caps and body with magic marker or punch marks to aid re-assembly. There is a little bit of trick taking the end with the wire and brushes out and back in as far as wire routing not pullingany connections apart. but it's kinda mech 101. Would like to know what you find....

If you have the starter off, you can bench test it. Hook a battery to it and it should spin like crazy with no load on it and if it's good. Clip the negative battery connection to one of the mounting lugs and just touch the positive connection to wire bolt terminal on the starter. If it doesn't spin like crazy, you'll have to have a look inside like Gary said. I don't know where you'd get rebuild parts if needed but with so many guys going kick only, a good used whole starter shouldn't be too hard to come by (or expensive).

when I got my Xs the starter was not working at all, so I took it off lead as well cleaned all the contacts now it works perfectly.

Mine was the same when I got the bike, totally dead. The main cable connection on the starter motor was all rusty, that's all. I cleaned it up and it has worked fine ever since. Maybe that's all you need to do, clean all the connections. It's a simple enough place to start. But like I mentioned earlier, bench test the thing. That will tell you if the problem is in the wiring leading to the starter or inside the starter motor itself.

Alright, here's what the current starter looks like on the bench. Thoughts on condition? (8500 miles on the bike). MM

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3833.jpg
    IMG_3833.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_3842.jpg
    IMG_3842.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3844.jpg
    IMG_3844.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 302
My take? Lightly sand (600 grit) and mild solvent clean the commutator make sure there is a bit of grease in the bearings and reassemble.

The inside of the starter body has a lot of presumably carbon buildup. Brake cleaner? Replace the brushes too? I don't want to deal with this again for a while. MM

Sure more cleaning never hurt I'm kinda partial to mineral spirits in a pump bottle and a tooth brush very gentle but good for flushing stuff off. Don't know for sure but the brushes look purdy long yet.

Back