1973 Yamaha DT3 250 Spark Plug Cap

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of a resto of my recently-purchased DT3 250.

I noticed today that the spark plug (B8ES) has the terminal screwed onto the threaded stud (by the PO).
Kinda surprised me. The plug cap appears to be stock, and I sorta remember this style of cap from my 1974 DT360 I owned years ago.

The cap fits rather snugly on a plug whether or not it has the terminal on the threaded stud, but the plug does fit deeper into the cap when the terminal is off of the plug:
cap.jpg

Here is the shallower fit when the terminal is on the plug:

cap3.jpg

Here is the inside of the cap:

cap2.jpg

When I put the cap on the plug with the bare threaded stud, I don't hear/feel the expected metal-to-metal contact.
I'd like to try starting it up and checking the strength of the spark with and without the plug terminal, but its a snowstorm outside, and the bike is in my indoor workroom.

Given the evidence, however, I'm thinking that cap is a non-resistor OEM item which is supposed to fit on a plug with no terminal, just a bare threaded stud.

Therefore, replace it with a LZFH.

cap5.jpg

Neither my Clymer nor a web search gave me any related info.
Opinions?

Last edited:
I don't think resistor or non-resistor has anything to do with the cap-to-plug fit.

It's about the style of socket in the cap. In my experience, the style intended for bare threads on the plug has a springy wire as the connection. The ones that fit over the nut on the plug are generally just a round metal cup.

If you're not getting solid contact with the terminal off, leave it on.

I don't think resistor or non-resistor has anything to do with the cap-to-plug fit.

It's about the style of socket in the cap. In my experience, the style intended for bare threads on the plug has a springy wire as the connection. The ones that fit over the nut on the plug are generally just a round metal cup.

If you're not getting solid contact with the terminal off, leave it on.
Resistor vs. Non-resistor comes into play when I replace the cap.
I'm inclined to replace cuz it seems to be rusty inside where the contact portion sits.

I'm inclined to replace the cap with the "stud" style cuz the modern ones seem to make a tighter, more definite contact.
Further, I once had a terminal loosen up, despite having tightened it well. I recall someone suggesting loctiting the terminal, but that would seem to possibly interfere with electrical conductivity.

Back