For Sale - 1974 Yamaha TX750

Status
Not open for further replies.

plane_ben

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
This is a 1974 Yamaha TX750. No title. As is $200.00. Pretty complete except for stock air boxes. Engine kicks over, good compression. Shows 39,000+ miles. It's in Tucson AZ, PM me if interested.

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

I would love to get my hands on one of those. Thats a great buy, .

Last edited:
:devil:

Those are great bikes, if you wrap a chain around them they will anchor a fair sized boat.
:devil:

Actually the front and rear wheels are useful to a dedicated XS650r and the rear swing arm is a subtle bolt on performance upgrade (larger size tubes = stiffer)
The rear wheel is an XS650 bolt on and has a larger drum brake than the XS650.................
The rims are Akronts IIRC and are rather nice.

Last edited:
the 74 had the problems fixed and were a reliable strong bike. the mud from the 73 stuck. Mind you the 650 had it over the 750

Well THAT one made it to 39,000 miles further than most bikes of that era of any brand or size.

The TX750 by Yamaha
Was smooth and slick as a bananaha.
Counter weights revolved hard, on chain by the yard
and oil leaked thither and Yanaha

If I remember correctly the TX had a chain driven counter balance. The chain would fail, the counter balance would hit rotating engine parts and the engine would self-destruct. Yamaha had to replace hundreds of engines.

the 73 had a shallow sump and the the chain driven omni-phase balancer, which smooths out vibration from the big parallel twin, also frothed the oil to the extent that the crank was starved. The solution was simple--fit a deeper sump. They also solved the counter balance chain problem as well. Here is a link to mods that Yamaha asked the deales to do but according to this article a lot of the US dealers didn't do it TX750A The 73 had an automatic adjustment on the chain for the balancer, that didn't work properly. It was changed to a manual chain adjuster on the 74 but by then the reputation was shit ..........

Last edited:
It's amazing that any of them are still around. Back then I often did work for our local Yamaha dealer. I had intended to trade my XS2 for the new TX750 but he stopped me. When the authorized dealer doesn't want to sell you a bike, you know it's bad...

If there's fans here, I think I know where two of em are hiding. and possibly a third frame, engine hulk. But you really got to love em. twitch, tic, twitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.