1975 XS Budget Build or at least thats what I tell the better half!

It's working better than the fh020 I had before and even better than the one I started with from a kawasaki vulcan. I've had it about 1k miles, it runs cooler than other regulators and the stator stays cooler as I can put my hand on the case after running a while.

I got a used OEM off ebay. Thats what I always do on things like regulators. New non-knockoff is over $100, used OEM can be had for under $50. Knockoff can be cheaper, but quality is spotty. The vulcan regulator went bad on me, the fh020 worked, but the stator failed and looked burnt, the sh775 uses the same connectors as the fh020 but runs much cooler and keeps the stator cooler. I can touch the sh775 after a 20 mile ride and not burn myself, it's warm but not hot.

Hi guys, thank you for the regulator info. I haven't posted in a while but I have been making progress. I've installed the engine and started figuring out my wiring as well as remounted the battery box and cleaned my tank out. I've got rid of a bunch of the old electrics and mounted my SH775.
IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0918.JPG

Also got my taillight mounted and have my side panels roughed in. I'm waiting on some more parts including connectors for the reguator so it will be a clean install as well as some more stock style connectors to finish the wiring off. I got some handlebars mounted up and I kinda hate them but they will work for now. I thought they were going to be a lot wider! Its a bit annoying dealing with the 1975 style wiring which runs through the handlebars but its also a cool feature. I bought a new smaller piston master cylinder as well as a repro caliper and a SS line so waiting on that to come in as well. Lots more work to do before summer! Nice inside work here though as its -30 C!

IMG_0922.JPG IMG_0923.JPG IMG_0925.JPG

And the last thing I just finished up is the seat mounting. I got a basic seat from ebay which is nothing special but I think it looks pretty good. I'm not sure what specifically it was built for but for the price it was alright. I may eventually try my hand at building my own but fibreglassing in the house is a no go for me and the same goes for painting or really using much of cleaning chemicals! I really wanted to use the existing mounts and not drill any holes so I fabricobbled this setup using the front hinge. I retained the helmet lock mechanism as well so its super easy to get at the battery and theres no awkward nuts or anything to take off to gain access. I'm pretty happy with the results and hopefully it holds up!

IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0926.JPG IMG_0919.JPG

Very nice. Looks good. I live that you have respect enough not to drill unnecessary holes.

So long time coming with an update. I had the bike running last summer however life got in the way and didn't have time to get it on the road. I pulled it out of the basement with some friends though. I tried to get it fired up that night but it would just backfire. I did a bunch of stuff and then realized I had the coils hooked up backwards. Fired right up after that. Rode it up and down the driveway and parked it in a friends garage for the last year. Well in the last week I became inspired and decided I needed to get it on the road. I wrote my learners license. I got the bike inspected, insured and plated and have been riding it the last 3 days! I can't believe I waited this long! I've had a few issues backfiring on decel which I cured through some cleaning and tuning. Theres a few leaks I'm sealing up but overall its running awesome. It sounds great and rides pretty nice considering its 45 years old! I traded with a buddies brand new KTM 790 today and the KTM was like riding a cloud in comparison. After about 20 mins I wanted my bike back though and my buddy didn't want to give it up! Two different experiences for sure. Thank you all for the inspiration and knowledge. Heres a few pics of riding the last few days.
IMG_1715.jpg
IMG_1745.jpg

Back