1975 xs650 find

stacks99

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Have the opportunity to buy another 75 xs650, was stored in a barn for the last 15 years, has 20,000 miles and a clear title! Asking $400. Bike is located 2 1/2 hours from me and they have no pictures to send but say the bike is complete with surface rust from sitting but not terrible condition. Want to pick this up as a parts bike for my 75, seem like a deal or no? Thanks

If it has compression or the motor is free seems like a decent deal to me. The big this is that it was stored indoors. That is a major plus. Wear gloves when you take it apart because I guarantee you there are a shit ton of spiders living in and around it!

Thanks for that heads up patches, i figure a titled frame is at least $200 right? plus i can tinker with that one to see how my running one works! He said he rode it 15 years ago, got married and its been parked since. so im assuming it has compression, do i check this by just hitting the kickstart and see if it turns or do i need the machine to check for compression?

weird, i picked up a 75 that hasn't run for 15 years for $400 back in december... but no title. do it..

kick it to make sure the pistons are free, buy a compression gauge - it threads into where the spark plug goes.. also a good time to see if the plug hole is stripped.. then kick, it should hold at 120psi or more, i think.

I would offer them $300 for it and see if they bite, if not toss them $400. It has a title, so that is a definite plus. I agree, buy a compression tester and check for compression if it kicks over. My bike had compression around 90psi and 75 psi when I got it, I shot some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders and let it sit a few days, a month later my compression is still over 135 on both sides. I have seen it free up stuck engines as well, so you never know until you tear into it. But I say go for it.

Well, I called the Lady and told her I would take it. She told me to call the next day that she was busy right now and we would set up a time I could come pick it up. So I call the next day and she tells me her husband sold it to someone else while she was at work..... Great communication there so basically I got screwed but still have my original 75 xs650 just not another one to toy around with !

Well I have a seen a fair number of PA barn finds and they can be AWFUL from rust. I swear they are worse than Wisconsin barns.:yikes:

Back