1975 xs650... let the games begin

Yup - thats perfectly reasonable Ethan.

There is a very wide range of restorations on the forum - from bikes that are exactly as new (better I suspect) to fully functional and safe "patina" queens (like my beloved Lucille :yikes:) to some really awesome resto-mods with new frames, forks, controls etc. but the strong beating heart of the good ole' MamaYama XS650 twin.

Cheers,

Pete

I rather enjoy polishing up all the alloy bits on these bikes. I think it really makes them "pop". It's sort of a zen thing too, I think, allowing me to commune with the bike, become "one" with the machine, lol. And don't forget the little bits like the valve covers and carb tops .....

BbyN2bY.jpg

On the side covers, I like to paint the Allen screw heads black. I think it gives a nice contrast to the polished case.

Thanks for all the feedback. After quite a little thought and reading, I think I'm going to take my time and focus on one job at a time. I have seen too many times people tear down any motorized machinery in the heat of excitement and never get back to them. Since i'm waiting on parts, and live in the frozen wasteland of Minnesota with no heated garage, I am going to pull the side covers and sand and polish them correctly. I know some people disagree with removing the built up "Patina", but I want this bike to look and feel when it was first purchased 44 years ago.
That's exactly how I did it. Do little bit at a time and take your time. You'll find that when you start working on a specific area there will be a multitude of other things that you might as well do since you have it apart. Giving yourself a deadline will only cause frustration. Hopefully, you have another bike that's rideable. Having another bike that's rideable takes the pressure off finishing it quickly. I worked on mine over three winters and ended up doing way more than I had imagined, but the result is a reliable, good looking bike. I think "patina" is overrated. I'm a sucker for nice, shiny, polished aluminum—polish away!

I know some people disagree with removing the built up "Patina", but I want this bike to look and feel when it was first purchased 44 years ago.

I have the same disease, everything has to look and run better than or as good as new. I know how hard it is to do anything in the winter. Spent many cold days in the garage back in Minneapolis working on these things. Been out in Idaho for two years now and the weather is a bit milder. When i finally built my dream garage in Minneapolis with heat and AC I uped and moved. I tend to tear everything down and start with the frame, then move on cleaning each item getting it ready to bolt back on. The engine is done somewhere around the 75% done mark. You are right about many bikes, ending up in pieces and never get finished. Once I get past the cleaning part and start seeing all the refurbished parts I get excited and its hard to stop.

Hi Ethan,
nice bike, eh?
About de-rusting gas tanks, I'd advise against using water as a cleaning fluid, kerosene or diesel fuel don't leave the tank damp inside to trigger more rusting.
And the best abrasive is anything that can be fished out again with a magnet. A dog-leash chain works OK and only has to be fished once.
Note that Mr Stupid found that chain don't work on an XS1100 Standard tank, though.
It gets jammed in that tank's internal drain line..
Also the tank could be set up on a slow speed home-built rotisserie to save yourself endless hours of making like a maraca player.

[QUOTE="FINDING PARTS
Here is a key tip that will really help you in locating parts:
  • Go to a parts company site like www.boats.net and look for the parts listing for your model and year of bike (the 1975 Yamaha XS650B is there);
  • Go to the applicable system on the parts listing (say the carbs);
  • You will find a diagram with an exploded view of all the parts on the carbs along with a list of the part names and Yamaha part numbers (the P/N will usually begin with the digits “447 which is the internal Yamaha designator for the XS650 family of bikes - ALTHOUGH the earlier 650s used the designator “256” which is an important distinction).
  • That full Yamaha part number is absolutely golden information.
Now - in many cases, boats.net actually stocks the Yamaha part and will happily sell it to you. However, if the part is listed as “Not available” - don’t despair. Simply take that full Yamaha part number - and stick it into the search window of your web search engine (Google etc.) and you may very well find that somebody - somewhere has got that exact part for sale - often at a very reasonable price.

Pete[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this great tip Pete - question though - just tried the Boats.net site and for the life of me can't fine the 'gateway' to our motorcycle parts and diagrams etc, all I can find is boat motor parts - is there another way of getting our hands on the original full parts numbers somehow, and did maybe Boats.net change its site since when you posted this tip?

Yup - the motorcycle side of "Boats.net" is now called "Partzilla.com". Much more logical IMO and so there you have it!

Pete

Last edited:
Back