1975BS78 carbs choke OR enricher??

75XSFLORIDA

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this was my whole problem. I just now installed this Choke lever. I’ve been trying to adjust the carbs without this lever and maybe that’s been my whole issue.
OK guys is this supposed to be pushed down or clicked up when starting the bike. And I’m talking about the actual black rubber choke handle. When I say up I mean towards me....When I say down, mean towards the floor just so we’re all on the same page.
If I start the bike when it’s UP and then click it DOWN the bike dies. How is this supposed to be? I don’t understand what actually it really is and also when you’re riding how should it be? Pushed down or up???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 166
Little off subject, let me pick your brain.....

just took her on a 75 mph 30 mile highway ride. No issues at idle now really. After like 45 secs or so at dead stop, rpm will drop and itll pop a little and then rpm will raise back up. What could that be??

Also when on throttle, speed continues to rise without moving throttle.... Like itll go from 30-40 with wrist staying still....any ideas??

Your slides are lifted by vacuum operating on the diaphragm attached to each slide. The twistgrip controls the throttle plate in the carb throat. If slides are a bit sticky, what you're describing could result. If you have the OE breaker point ignition or an aftermarket electronic ignition that retains the OE mechanical advance system, the first thing I'd check would be ignition timing and function, with a close look at the advance governor (AKA "automatic timing unit"). The search function on this site works great; you'll find plenty of information on that topic.

Yes. OE ignition.
I’m really not understand his bike. I just wrote it like 50-60 miles and the last 10 miles it was starting to backfire at every RPM. I played with the mixture screw a million times from a quarter to a half to a full turn it doesn’t matter. It’s doing the same thing. Everything is stock on this bike except exhaust from PO but was done 35 years ago. The only thing I’ve done is put unifoam over the stock air cages because the original foam was deteriorating.
Help. Hating this bike more n more each day

I already offered you help: inspect the ignition first. If you don't know how, use the search function and find out. Does the motor respond to mixture screw changes at all? If not you may have a damaged float or other fuel feed issue.

Back