1976 xs650 by summertime?

VVLynden

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks, first time posting and have recently been lurking. I owned a 1979 xs650 Special a long time ago and recently came into posession of a 1976 xs650. The PO said it 'ran before being put into storage' so I will take for what it's worth, which at this point isn't a whole lot. It does appear it was in covered storage though. Let me also state that I am not a COMPLETE novice at mechanical things, but I am also very new to working on things my own.

So on to the questions and comments. I took the gas tank off and there was a light dusting of rust inside, no big chunks or anything too scary. After scouring the threads here on rust removal I went for CLR initially and mixed it with water, poured it in the tank and let it sit for a couple days. It seemed to clean it out pretty well but not perfectly so I opted for another route which was Apple Cider Vinegar. This seemed to take care of any remaining rust. I read that to stop the chemical reactions to use baking soda with water, so I did and sloshed it around the tank then blasted everything out with a pressure washer, dried it with a hairdrier and called it good. I put a bit of gasoline in their and sloshed that around as well.

My question about this whole process is: Do I absolutely need to use a tank sealer. I have a can of redkote but frankly, due to my lack of knowledge about this stuff, it scares me. I have no respirator and really my only option would be to do it outside my garage. Am I asking for more rust if I leave the tank as is?

I took the carbs apart and cleaned them, which I felt was a great learning experience and kind of took the edge off of the uknown. The carbs were surprisingly clean compared to other photos folks have shared on the forum so I felt lucky. As far as I know they are mikuni bs38's and in pretty good condition. I reassembled them and put them back on the bike.

This leads to my second question: Is there anything I need to do to the carbs after cleaning and reattaching to the gas tank BEFORE starting the bike up? Will the gas automatically feed to the carbs as soon as I hook them up? Do I need to rig up some crazy device to make sure they don't just explode from being 'empty'?

These are the two big things I wanted to get working before attempting a start up. I put some oil in through the spark plug holes to let it soak in, just a little bit, drained what was left of the remaining oil, which was not chunky and no flakes, then added the shell rotella 15w/40 I believe it was. Not 100% on that, but I had it written down from the oil thread so I'm fairly certain I got the right stuff. Got new NGK plugs, I have two uni filters and a new battery on the way as well. It IS missing some parts, specifically the clutch and throttle cables as well as (from what I can tell) the master cylinder. Now this confused me because there is this bizarre short lever for the brake and I have two cables hanging around near it that aren't connected to anything. I *think* they are the brake cables but not sure which one does what, or what they were supposed to connect to.

There's also what looks like a lever for a cable of some kind on the front of the engine, i'm not certain what it's for but how many cables could there be on this thing..?

All in all, the bike looks to be in decent shape, it's just dirty from sitting and these weird parts that are missing, maybe it was cannibalized for another bike or something. Many thanks in advance, this is a big project for a noob like myself, I'm used to working on my VW Scirocco or Nissan Maxima, so this is definitely a step in a different direction. I've been taking a lot of pictures and just going through it as methodically as I can, but I'd like to do it right before trying it's first start up and blowing the engine or something.

Attachments

• IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 439
Hi VV Lynden - it appears the photos show an earlier model bike than the 76C model you describe, the passenger footpeg mounts & the decompressor setup on the LH exhaust valve adjustment cover show this.
See here for more model information

Welcome aboard! Nice platform to start with. On the tank I'd leave her be as far as putting a liner in and just run good fuel filters. In picture number one- that is a decompression/starter trigger.......I'll back off now as that predates my experience, though I believe I'd check the frame numbers against the engine numbers and see if there's a difference.....could be somebody swapped the motor for an earlier model.

You have a 72 XS2, with later model carbs installed, (76/77 i think), the carbs up till 75 were single carb twin cable non linked.

Check out the serial no's for the frame and motor, Should be the same), Here. First post PDF file

The starange tappet cover was for the decompression lever that was installed on the 72XS2/73TX, linked to a lever on the right handle bar that operated as an electric start as well. The lever in your fist photo shows this

Check out the rear foot-peg mounts, below, and your bike has the steering damper as well and it was on the 70-73 frames

full

70-73 Frame. The front down tubes on these frames have a bend, ( looking from the front), just around the front engine mount

full

74-79 Standard frame. The 76 should have a frame the same as this.

before buying parts for your engine you have to identify the engine no, ( behind the front engine mount stamped on the cases vertically), the early engines, 70-73 are whats commonly known as the 256 motors.

Here is a buying guide and has all the models from 70 through to 83 and shows the differences between each years and how to spot the changes made.

Disregard the information on twin disc front brakes. The US market only had single disk front brake

Attachments

• xs2-2.jpg
    xs2-2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 256
  • xs2-3.jpg
    xs2-3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 264
On the RedKote: Avoid it if at all possible. As long as the inside of the tank isn't rusting, leave it.

Assuming the floats are adjusted properly, nothing needs to be done. Turn the petcocks on, the float bowls will fill with gas and then the float will shut the inlet valve off.

That "bizarre short lever" on the right is the decompressor/starter lever. Your front brake master cylinder and brake lever appear to be missing.

There should be a cable between the short lever on the handlebar and the lever on the front of the left side of the engine. It lifts the exhaust valve off the seat during starting to lower the compression.

If your VIN says it's a '76, it's possible somebody put an early engine into a later frame.

The compression release was only used for a couple of years. If it's Kick Only, that pretty well nails it as being an early engine.

From looking at your pics and the things others have said I don't think it is a 76. The frame, carbs, decompressor all indicate it is a 72 or 73. Another thing to check is the front wheel, does the center part of the brake rotor bolt to the hub?
Any way that doesn't really matter. You want to hear it run. A repair manual will be a good investment, free on some sites.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help with the carbs.
72 or 76 they both used points. To get it to run you need a battery, a good fully charged is best. Get power to the points. Check for spark. Pull plugs hook them to plug wires hold the plugs to head, kick over. Bright big blue spark is best. Big yellow is ok, small isn't.
If you get spark put the carbs on. Hook up the tank, fresh gas. turn on gas, power to the points, Push the enrichener (choke to some) down. Kick to start. Once it starts and runs a few seconds, pull the enrichener up. It should idle well at 1200-1500 rpms.
Good luck.
Leo

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Nice bike. It should not be that hard to get it running as some I have seen. Have fun with it. Summer not far away. It was snowing this morning where I live. :shrug:

Looks like the serial is S650-110447 making it a 72? Engine and frame serials match. I was essentially going off of what the PO had told me, this has been very enlightening! So this decompression lever, I need to pull it during a kick start then let go after it fires up? And the brake lever and master cylinder are completely separate from it? I will look into picking up a manual for this bike I've just been antsy to get it running. Regardless of it firing up I still need to get new tires and check the brakes before taking it out of the driveway.

Thanks for the swift replies, you guys are great!

Sounds like you bought it no title. Not sure about Washington some states will not tag a bike without a title. I would get all the paper work done now rather than later. If you have a legal title then that makes the process go faster.

It appears you've acquired what's affectionately (or not) called a "bitsa" - bits of this and bits of that. The carbs ...... I have no clue ....... and I know a thing or two about 650 carbs.

It was gifted to me by a mother of a childhood friend. My buddy lives out of state now and isn't too big on bikes, his mom was ready to get rid of it and she called me up at his suggestion. She is local and told me she would help with any liscensing related paperwork. I don't know what that entails but I know it's gonna be a pain in the rear.

Good to have someone to help with the title. If it was titled in WA. would make things go better. If the title whereabouts is unknown a duplicate title should be obtainable without a problem. I would call motor vehicle for what is needed to for the process. Nice find and for free even better. :thumbsup:

Ok fellas as far as I can tell there is no spark. I think i'm checking it properly: Take one of the plugs out and attach to the wire, ground it to the engine, turn bike on and try to fire it up.. you should see some spark, and I see nothing at all. Brand new plugs, also tried it on the plugs that came in the bike when I got it, and nothing. So maybe the wires are faulty? The battery is brand spankin' new and fully charged from the shop, and it's powering the lights etc.

The bike is trying to turn over, it's just nothing's happening. Little video so you can see (hear) what's going on:

Sounds good in the video,I think it's points ignition 101 time for you. This thread should help. Once you are sure you have a runner, a Pamco is one of the best things you can do a for an XS650.

PS I am thinking those are early carbs (high floor in the venturi) probably correct (original) for the 72-73. I think someone just connected the bowl vents with a tee which is not a bad idea IMHO.

Here's a few more pics of those carbs. It says Mikuni Kogyo Co. Ltd. Japan and has SOLEX across the top.

Checking out this points stuff is breaking my brain. Mechanical stuff is hard enough for me, but electrical?? bleh! Well, time to get out of my comfort zone and learn something new!

Attachments

• IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 353
I take it back, I am not sure what they are either. solex is usually old 70 71?? Throttle shafts are linked like 74 75??? might be a mix of parts from a couple of years too. May take some sleuthing to figure out.

Looks like you got something like I did when I got mine.. Parts!

And you also got a bad ass xs1 tank!

Back