1976 XS650 restoration and rebuild, advice and help welcomed!

Still going with the motogadget stuff? The M-unit and M-button? I'll be following closely if you do that. I'm going that route.

Still going with the motogadget stuff? The M-unit and M-button? I'll be following closely if you do that. I'm going that route.
I am afraid I have abandoned that approach... I hate to say it, but I was way too overwhelmed with possible variables and compatibility issues. So, I've since sourced a complete stock electrical setup, and am in the process of installing as we speak. With the exception of a new PAMCO to replace the points. Post to follow on the install of the stock harness etc...

George......................there is no polarity on those connections. You can connect the primary side of the contactor coil anyway you like. Same for the secondary side..................obviously the battery cable will connect easier to the top stud on the contactor.
I've installed the new replacement starter relay... see here. And if I understand RG correctly, these would be the connection points for the terminals.

Attachments

• IMG_9750.PNG
    IMG_9750.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
Clocking back in on the 76' finally. Quick check list to keep my head straight. In case anyone is still listening, here is how she's shaping up. A big thank you to Mark at RDdecals.com. The 76' repro decals really shaped out nice!

- Front and Rear Brake
- Connect new clutch, speedo, tach, throttle cables
- Finish up stock wiring install
- Exhaust (MAC Standard 2-2, en route)
- Turn ignition switch!

Today I am trying to sort out grounding the handlebar, and will try to begin making the connections in the headlight bucket. Thank again as always to everyone out here for your help getting me this far.

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 211
Looks really nice George - coming along well indeed.

I like the cream/white/ivory colour scheme. Classy & timeless!

Pete

Made a big step in the right direction. Thank you @MaxPete for the guidance, and to the posts here about properly grounding the handlebar (if painted, or powdered bars are installed). Bared a dime sized area at each of the switches where the metal contact hits the handlebar, as well on the clamping areas at the triple. Made a lead with a ring terminal for the bottom of the stud, similar to stock. The multimeter now gives me that refreshing beep when I connect (with the meter probes) that ground lead and pink horn wire after pressing the horn button. On to the next wires, one by one...

Attachments

• IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 166
Yup - that should do it George! Now, just matchy-matchy on the rest of the wires.

Keep us posted!

Pete

@TimeMachine Here she sits with the 2-2 MAC exhaust. I love the look. The only problem, is there seems to be a snowballs chance in hell that the rear footrest bracket will reach the muffler portion where they'd typically be anchored... Hmmm.

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 174
Hmmmmm....indeed. Is there a missing bracket or strut? In any event, THAT looks really nice GeorgeOC - very classy indeed.

Now - how is the wiring going and when will you push the little black button....

Hmmmmm....indeed. Is there a missing bracket or strut? In any event, THAT looks really nice GeorgeOC - very classy indeed.

Now - how is the wiring going and when will you push the little black button....
Thank you Pete. Fancy paper weight eh! :doh:! I am stuck with the the connections to the solenoid and safety relay. There seems to be quite some controversy as to where the Red/white goes...

- Coming safety relay are the following: Red, Red/White, Black, Yellow.
- Off the starter solenoid: Red/White, Blue/White

Sorry - but that's the best I can do right now. I hope uit helps a bit at least.

Pipes have a very classic look and shape. I do really like the length of the mufflers ! The head pipes seem a bit longer than stock (drop) which puts those pipes low .. notice a stock muffler is shaped for clearance under the brake arm pivot. It looks like the mufflers can come up a little closer to the passenger peg mount ? Regardless, a custom bracket is expected.. I'll betcha they will sound fantastic !

George, I really like the paint scheme you've got going there, very unique. The new exhaust is also very nice looking.
Hope you get your wiring sorted soon so you can start that bad boy up!

Thank you Pete. Fancy paper weight eh! :doh:! I am stuck with the the connections to the solenoid and safety relay. There seems to be quite some controversy as to where the Red/white goes...

- Coming safety relay are the following: Red, Red/White, Black, Yellow.
- Off the starter solenoid: Red/White, Blue/White
I thought we had this straightened out in the other thread. Any diagram that shows a red wire going to the Safety Relay is wrong.
Look at the 1977 wiring diagram in the TECH section. It shows the correct wiring. For the Safety Relay, red/white comes in from the Stop Switch. Another red/white goes out to the starter solenoid. A blue/white leaves the starter solenoid going to the start push button. There is no red wire at the safety relay.
So where is the controversy?

I thought we had this straightened out in the other thread. Any diagram that shows a red wire going to the Safety Relay is wrong.
Look at the 1977 wiring diagram in the TECH section. It shows the correct wiring. For the Safety Relay, red/white comes in from the Stop Switch. Another red/white goes out to the starter solenoid. A blue/white leaves the starter solenoid going to the start push button. There is no red wire at the safety relay.
So where is the controversy?

Thanks @retiredgentleman , I was noting that the safety relay has a red wire coming from its harness. Here are the 4 wires off the SR. Red, Red/White, Blk, and Yel. The only controversy is my confusion. I think you guys have given me what I need to move the needle on this. Might be a teeny bit of time before I can tackle it, but I feel like the info is all here... As always, you experienced fellas always get things handled. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 142
This is where you do some detective work with your VOM set to ohms. The red/white in your picture should be the wire going to the starter solenoid. You can verify that with your VOM. So the red wire can be used to bring power from downstream of the Stop Switch, which is the same electrical point as the input power to the ignition coils. Use your VOM and check any other red wires that you see in the harness, to find the other end of that red wire.
Its not surprising that a harness from Mikesxs, will have some wires with a different colour code than what was expected. We know there are wiring diagrams with errors in them. Mikesxs may have used one of the diagrams with errors, when they designed the wiring harness.

Back