1976 XS650 restoration and rebuild, advice and help welcomed!

BP7ES installed, no luck. For my next trick, I need to verify the float bowl fuel height. I have read about the sight tube method in the carb guide, and have some extra fuel line on the bench... does anyone have a good recommendation/source on what they've used in place of the drain plug to carry out this test with a sight tube? 5twins has offered a great visual here, I was not sure if the fitting used here is commonly found or is a specialty item.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• SightTube6_zpssskjoff7.jpg
    SightTube6_zpssskjoff7.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
What I read about doing on here George is to get a couple grease zerks. Can't remember if they're 6or8 mm threads and drill out the ball and spring. Put a small o-ring on the threads to ensure a good seal.

IMG_20170515_151134.jpg

5twins has offered a great visual here, I was not sure if the fitting used here is commonly found or is a specialty item.

5twins, the forum's famous 'Secret Shopper' found those on eBay I think. If you do a little searching you will find the link for those fittings that he so generously posted.

Last edited:
Yes, mine was an eBay purchase, but I do like that grease fitting idea. I don't regret my purchase though. It's a nicely made item .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272292217676?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

A few tips - make sure the bike is sitting level or the reading will be off. Your '76-'77 carb set has a slightly different spec than the '78 carb in my pic. Yours is 25mm so the fuel level will be slightly lower in the tube. It's probably best you set a float first by measuring then check it with the sight tube to see what reading it gives. Note that (with a pic maybe) for future use of the sight tube alone. Generally, the level ends up at or near the bowl-body seam when correctly set.

Idea ? personally I "keep it simple" and have never done this but, the tube is a temporary check ! I would simply drill a tapered rubber plug stopper for the line and stuff it in the drain hole. Or even just wrap the test hose with something you have. Any small leak would be irrevelant and confirm your float height. -RT aka "small town tech" ;)

George, how are things going? Have you had any luck moving forward with your build?
Thanks Mailman. Moto time took a dent recently, but I am diving back in this week. I my rear & front brake switches were blowing my main fuse. I think I was able to fix that with cleaning up the brown/yellow circuit for those guys... I think my non-start issue is due to fuel, so its carb and pamco timing time here this weekend. luckily I have a buddy that has some proper sync'ing tools, and we're diving in. Hope to be running with a week or two. I have been quiet here, to spare everyone the non-sense until I just get'r done!

Hello all, its been a rough and tumble 2 weeks. I've have been down to the mat and back on getting the 76' close to running properly. Issue of the day is now timing with the Pamco e-advance system. I cannot seem to get the timing adjusted just right to where it should be. I have the adjustment maxed out, but the timing still seems retarded.

Post #2 in this thread:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/e-advancer-help.37826/

And post #18 in this thread:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/no-spark-after-electrical-advancer-install.36739/

I haven't tried these fixes yet, adjusting the play out of the advance rod etc. I guess I am just wondering out loud tonight... Might anyone know off hand if this sort of timing issue with the pamco/e-advance is common?

@pamcopete Would love to know your thoughts if this reaches you.

Thanks all!

I don't believe it's common. Many are using his system with little issue on this forum.

I've got a 76 myself and am running PMA, Pamco w/ E advancer and a capacitor. With the idle set to "FIRE" revving the engine brings it up JUST below the "advance" marking.

Have you tested your battery for voltage while the bike is at idle? What is the idle rpm?

Definitely check for play on the rotor on the left side of the engine. Someone else was having this exact problem and ended up having play on that side, solved by tightening the nut down a bit more.

Let us know what you find out

Hello everyone! TGIF! And for many reasons. For one its nearly Independence Day, and I am proud to be an American. Two, I rode the 650 for the first time!

Blood, sweat, years, problem after problem solved, then viola... You get to ride for the first time. After initially getting the bike to fire, I was stalled, she was not starting again, and far from road worthy. The following needed to be addressed.

1. No oil was getting to the top end. Faced the pump surfaces, now its spitting all over the place behind the valve covers...
2. Timing was not working out. Needed to machine away a little material on the PAMCO plate to rotate the disc ever so slightly beyond its position.
3. Brake lever and pedal switches were shorting my main fuse. Traced this to a short in the tail light harness.
4. Touched up a few grounds in the ignition circuit.
5. Cleaned the carbs (again). Oldskoolcarbs did a fine job and they look great now, but the idle circuits were clogged up.

Woe is me? NO way. It was great to troubleshoot all the above. To all the guys here that shed even a smidgen of light on issues brought up in this thread, and to those who helped greatly (you know who you are!) THANK YOU. This community, and its content are and will continue to be an invaluable resource.

Exactly 2 years to the day from buying this beast, I got out and rode for the first time. What a ride! And a long strange trip its been so far... Have a great weekend everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 302
Congrats on getting that first ride in:cheers:.
If I was closer I'd drive over on my 78 Special and have a beer with you.
I see your first post in the thread was 1.5 years ago. You stuck with it through turmoil and adversity.
Have a good Independence Day!

By the way, Canada is 150 years old tomorrow, so Canada will be party crazy from coast to coast. Rumor has it that the beer stores are running low:yikes:

That's great news George! Congratulations and well done! You'll get it sorted , but you got past the major hurdle and got it running. What a great start to a holiday weekend. Have fun!
Edit: And by the way, it's a beauty!

Congrats on getting that first ride in:cheers:.
If I was closer I'd drive over on my 78 Special and have a beer with you.
I see your first post in the thread was 1.5 years ago. You stuck with it through turmoil and adversity.
Have a good Independence Day!

By the way, Canada is 150 years old tomorrow, so Canada will be party crazy from coast to coast. Rumor has it that the beer stores are running low:yikes:
Thanks RG. If you're ever in the neighborhood... :cheers:!

That's great news George! Congratulations and well done! You'll get it sorted , but you got past the major hurdle and got it running. What a great start to a holiday weekend. Have fun!
Edit: And by the way, it's a beauty!
Thank you Mailman. Much appreciated! Thanks for all the help!

This is terrific George - congratulations indeed! From my experience, she'll run better each time you go out and it really is nice to putter along and enjoy the breeze!

I guess my 650 is the reason that my favourite song is "End of the Line" by the Travelling Wilburys. Says it all!

Happy Independence Day my American friends!

Pete

Last edited:
This is terrific George - congratulations indeed! From my experience, she'll run better each time you go out and it really is nice to putter along and enjoy the breeze!

I guess my 650 is the reason that my favourite song is "End of the Line" by the Travelling Wilburys. Says it all!

Happy Independence Day my American friends!

Pete

Congratulations, George ! Your hard work and tenacity has really paid off.

Pete, Yamadude, thank you gentlemen! Time to update the profile photo! Ha!

So George, how is that old gal running these days?

Pete
Hello Pete! Well... Pretty good I must say. Newbie nervousness though was the theme though... I took the moto commuting to work today for the first time. Nice 15mile each way cruise, some undulating terrain here and there, and I'm able to avoid the freeway. I've noticed 2 things that I need to address or tinker with.

1. Clutch cable has definitely slackened. I have the barrel adjuster at the lever near maxed out. On my way in I was having a tough time finding neutral, not fun on your first real foray on the streets! I tightened up the barrel adjuster a few turns, much better. But Its nearly maxed as I said. So need to find a way to tweak that...

2. This I could use some advice on. I noticed that the idle rpm will fluctuate at different stopping points when I am in neutral, say at a stoplight. Can the grade of a hill effect that? What should your idle be at when stopped an in neutral waiting out a stop...?

All in all, looking forward to some more practice with this thing, and some less nervous cruising!

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 284
Back