1977 First Attempt bobber build

MNXS650

UH OH
Reaction score
So I picked up a 1977 XS650 with 9,XXX mi I should have taken a pic before I took off the fenders and tank and such but if you know what a 77 looks like in bountiful blue thats what it looked like before and here is how it sits now. The guy said he had it running two summers ago and last summer after he charged the bat. and put the seat on he said it started smoking. Well I found a melted fuse holder but he thought there was more and he started clipping wires and trying other crap when all he had to do was replace the fuse holder but like mentioned above I really don't mind cause its gonna be chopped up.

To do list:
Tc Bros hard tail
Pamco ultimate H/O ignition system
Drag bars
Sportster style tank
solo seat
TC bros PMA kit
Bobber tail light/plate holder
4.5 headlight
pod filters or velocity stacks if I can find them
rims 16" rear and 19"/21" havent decided front
fake oil bag for electronics
drag/ss/straight pipes

O and any ones .02 is welcome I'm gonna be learning on the go so any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated
IMAG01441.jpg

Last edited:
worked on her a bit this morning and afternoon built a temp chopper/bobber wiring harness to see if I could get her to start. Fuel, spark, and compression all good just no start any ideas? O and I'm trying kick only for now might wanna rethink that for now?

Edit: forgot to mention it pops and all that but that's it

I'm going to try and lace up a 23" Honda front rim to my stock hub I don't know how well its gonna work though. headed to the yard tomorrow for rims wish me luck.

custom spokes are going to be expensive, but it will be cool. You could sell your wheels, buy hubs that have already been cut out, and build a wheel from that. cutting your hubs out of perfectly good wheels is a waste, especially since you could easily sell them for about $100 each, more if they are mint.

Had to go out of town for work but, While I was out I ordered a few things and on monday I brought the bike to have the hard tail welded on.

P1010349.jpg

TC bros hard tail
Sporty tank
Pop up gas cap
Petcock
Tac plug
Monster craftsman foot pegs
Hughs solid riser bushings
Sullys seat
Vintage style grips
Tapered neck bearings
Biltwell seat hinge
Biltwell throttle tube
Biltwell slimline risers came in the mail yesterday not pictured

Well the shop that was suppose to weld my hard tail on jerked me around first he told me two weeks then three then by monday and monday he said it was on the lift. I drove by ... bike was still sitting where I dropped it off so I told him I wanted it and as he was literally throwing parts in my truck he said he had $10,000 of business on the lift and he didn't need this junk anyways. So now its at a new shop and will be done within a week. woo hoo!

So while the wife was away last night at her girls night out I just worked in the garage putting the triple trees back on tapered neck bearings in and all greased up mocked up everything else I have laying around the garage. The tank isnt mounted yet just sitting there cant decide ether to frisco mount it or regular??

SDC10483.jpg

SDC10488.jpg

SDC10485.jpg

This was suppose to be the slug for the down tube guys at the welding shop thought tail light O well

SDC10489.jpg

And has any one else have a really snug fit for their rear wheel or is this all wrong it doesn't seem right to me anyone with a TC BROS tail please lend me some advice. I had to really work at getting the spacer on the right in there it must have been about an 1/8 to tight. I know some guys have mentioned washers and by NO MEANS IS THIS HOW I WOULD RIDE lol.

SDC10487.jpg

SDC10486.jpg

And do these look newer?? I have never seen points before so I wouldn't know.

SDC10491.jpg

Pulled the motor last night and today I did some cutting, grinding , flappy wheeling and got rid of the tabs / stuff I don't want on there. I was going to take before and after pics but forgot my camera. Also attempted to make a light bracket but I think the angle Iron I used is to short so the light I'm going to run would hit. So I will most likely be doing that again. O well.

My TC Bros tail section was tight around the axle as well. It all aligned well, though, so I wasn't too worried about it.

The points look pretty clean. Build looks great. You are moving along! Keep it up!

FR

Id be a little worried about the down tube only being a butt weld and not have anything else to provide strength. Im guessing your running 1" bars since you mention a Bitwell throttle?

No they didn't butt weld it they just made another slug they thought it was missing I asked em all about it cause it made me a little worried too. But thanks for the concern. Yea 1" bars might get some 1" Bonz Bars off monstercraftsman.com tho haven't decided yet.

Last edited:
Thinking about running a the Aris style headlight from lowbrow. Does anyone have one know someone who does? Just worried about how bright or dim it may be at night.

So hours after I posted the above comment I ordered the light and here it is.

First I drilled a hole as center as I could in my little homemade light tab and checked looks by putting it on with just the hole in it.
P1010535.jpg

Then I took the tab off and cut off any excess metal that was in my way and re-installed it.
P1010539.jpg

Then I installed the headlight. (the lens is off cause I was confused by the one wire coming out of it more on that later)
P1010540.jpg

P1010541.jpg

Lined it all up cosmetically
P1010542.jpg

and... KA POW!!
P1010543.jpg

The one wire really confused me ...for a second. I thought I was missing one cause online there's two in the pictures, but its a positive and the ground is just to the frame of the bike so through the mounting bolt it grounds out.

Back