1977 XS650 Build

zeroxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1077 XS650 and will attempt to completed my second cafe racer build. The bike is not in running condition, the original owner was in the process of doing his own version when he stopped the build and had it stored for the last 2 years. He stripped the bike and repainted the frame and headlamp bucket and reworked the front fork lowers. I have a stock fuel tank along with a tank from a XS750. I received various spare parts in several boxes.
I will start by taking off any part that is rusty and media blast them to clean them up. I will remove the engine covers to clean and polish. along with any chrome that will need cleaned. I will remove the carbs to inspect and clean Then the hard part, getting her running. I want to return the exhaust to the 2 into 2 and am willing to trade the 2 into 1 for a stock exhaust. Also, I want to go with mag style wheels and also be willing to trade the spokes for the mags. PM me if you are interested.
I have an electronic ignition that came with the bike but am not familiar with the brand. I will google the vendor to see if it is appropriate for my bike.
I see challenges for the build but I will take it slow and one item at a time. I will be asking lots of questions as I go, so please add your input and comments.
Let the build begin…….
XS650-1_zpsq7ktslbz.jpg

Image209_zps3jxqdk1i.jpg

Image2010_zpscf3yze6b.jpg

Image208_zpsagp3mjrs.jpg

Image2011_zpsjchtu8ku.jpg

Image2023_zpsog0jgpnr.jpg

Image%2022_zpsgg1n0lys.jpg

What you have looks like a good start, thanks for the pictures.
Your tag line does not say what country you are in, I am guessing in the sunnier part of USA, so my spare mag wheels will be no good to you on account of shipping costs.

Last edited:
Hey Zero, lookin good. Hey, if you are not going to use the stock tail light/ licence bracket can I buy it off you? I have a 76 model and someone drilled some big holes in mine...

Some things you should know about a mag wheel swap - no 650 ever came with an 18" rear mag, only 16". In the U.S. at least, there was only one year ('81) that had a drum rear mag, all the others were disc. Canada got more years with the drum mag. 16" rear wheels aren't really in keeping with what most consider the traditional cafe "look", but then again, neither are mags.

Thanks for the response gentlemen, I am located in Amish Country in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I would need the rear wheel to be a drum. I am in the process of purchasing a bench grinder, going to start to pull of parts to clean. And also researched a electronic ignition that was with the bike. Not sure about this.....
Image%2019_zpsaf1bpdqs.jpg

Image%2020_zpstb3uamx4.jpg

I've heard of that brand name but I'm not familiar with them. I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned around here. It's an English company so may be more popular over there. I'd give it a try, it will probably work just fine. A Google search will find you info on it including install instructions.

Hi zero,
nice start for a café racer.
You didn't say, did you get a title?
Make sure you do that BEFORE you put time and money into a bike you can't legally ride.
Mag wheels? On a café racer? Instead of the prettiest wire wheels Yamaha ever made?WTF?
If you must, you must, I guess.
Front mag from any XS650/750/850/1100 will plug right in.
Judging from their photos swirly mags from an XJ650 should work both ends.
The only XS650 rear drum mag has a 16'' rim diameter.
Mind you, Lotsa Yamaha parts swap from model to model as well as from year to year,
there may well be an 18" mag drum rear that'll work.
I'd say stay with the XS650 tank. The XS750 tank hooks up backwards, the retaining cups are inside the tank tunnel, not on the frame.
The XS750 tank tunnel is wide enough that a double hockey puck each side will hold the front. It's also longer than an XS650 tank so you'll need to make a new rear attachment for the tank and cut the seat pan shorter to make it fit.
Dunno about Newtronics ignitions except half of the Britbikes with upgraded ignition are using one.
Perhaps you'd do better to sell your 2 into1 and buy a new aftermarket exhaust,
Genuine Yamaha systems are either rusted out or appallingly expensive. Some are both.

Jealous...looks like a good starting point for your build.

What's up with the engine? Seized? There's a whole bunch of rust, but perhaps you'll be lucky and the internals have been saved.

I like the mods that have been done already...I personally like the 750 tank for a cafe build...but as stated, a little bit of work to get it on...not hard, but not plug/play.

I would keep the rims...the 18" rear is better for the cafe look, and I think the 650 rides better on a skinnier rear tire. But that's just my opinion.

Good luck!

Thanks guys for your input, I see a lot of cafe bikes with spokes. They are a pain to clean. I will consider selling the exhaust instead of trading. I just need the headers since I am considering Dunstall mufflers. The engine does turn over and I will address the rusted parts. Going to be a lot of work but I am looking forward to it. Keep the comments coming....

The Dunstall replicas with the fixed baffles are junk. That's what I started out with and I thought they were OK at first, but a baffle fell out of one after a few thousand miles, and then Mike's came out with their Commandos. I got a set of those and they are much, much better. I mounted just one with one of the Dunstalls and started the bike. This really drove home the point of what a crap muffler that Dunstall was. I didn't think they sounded too bad until I heard one side by side with the Commando. They really are junk. There is another Dunstall replica out there with a removable fiberglass wrapped baffle. Those are supposed to be better.

Plan on changing your pod filters as well. The pleated K&N type pods don't work right on a CV carb. You'll want straight foam UNI pods. The UP4200 is the one that fits the BS38s .....

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

X2 on the foam pods. My BS38's really like them. The pleated cones I could never get right. People will tell you that depends on the brand, tho, as Ape and K&N are far superior in design compared withe cheaper stuff.

Hi Zero, I'm a fairly newby also..........not many posts yet. Look at the Feb. feature build in this years calendar. It has a 750 tank on it and IMO looks fantastic. Builder says it wasn't too difficult to do.

Howdy neighbor, I'm right down the road from you in Hanover Pa. Good looking start for your cafe. Hope you have the title as Pa makes it deal hard to get one.

I did get a title, I won't buy a bike without one unless it is a parts bike. PA is such a pain to try and get a title. Looking to start my teardown today. I did review a YouTube video on doing your own wire wheel relacing, I am contemplating having the rim and hub powder coated black. I recieved 2 sets of chrome spokes. More to come....

Last edited:
- - - XS750/850/1100 front wheels are bulkier in the spokes and hub area than the XS650. I agree on keeping the spokes.

Hi Skull,
while there is an early model XS1100 front wheel that is heavier, not tubeless compatible and that I've only seen photos of, all the cast fronts on my families' XS650, XS750 & XS11 bikes look to be eff nigh identical. My XS11 is running an XS650 cast front right now for the sake of it's nice tire.
And Oh yes, wire wheels for looks (café racers are all about looks) and tubeless tires on cast wheels for practicality.

I got home for Florida this afternoon, ( I have a home there also and travel on weekends to ride my regular ride) and went to Lowe's to buy a bench grinder. I wanted an easier way to clean all the rust and grime off of the parts that I will be removing. I also purchased a shelf to store all the extra parts and keep the parts I take off organized. My wife warned me NOT to take her side of the garage with my build. It is going to take some time to do the teardown so I will baggie the parts and label them with the location. I am also taking pictures to make sure I re-install them correctly. I did polish the left side engine cover by using a S100 product, Total Cycle Finish Restorer. I worked the cleaner with a toothbrush and it did a nice job. I will use the bench grinder to buff it, there seems to be some staining on the cover. If the buffing does not take it out I may use the wet sanding technique I used on my first build. I see a couple of issues that I will need some of the forum's expertise. Thanks for looking…..

Back