1977 yamaha 650 d restoration files

Upper Trip aluminum clamp finishing

• paint stock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • polish aluminum

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ron, here is my work in progress exhaust.
IMG_0856_zpse22f53ee.jpg

IMG_0855_zps20db3459.jpg

here is the brackets from the backside,
IMG_0849_zps8650a155.jpg

bolt in original mount for header to muffler joint
IMG_0848_zps3d14d79a.jpg

bolt welded into channel of muffler, mount bent to fit around original pegs
IMG_0847_zps4fd7bc2b.jpg

IMG_0846_zps9d2da0b8.jpg

IMG_0845_zps00819367.jpg

comin' along

trying to get her right...

so noticed that my left hand pipe is coloring way faster than the left.

here are the plugs,
right hand...

IMG_0864_zpsbfb70e37.jpg

and left hand...

IMG_0861_zps7c62e0cf.jpg

any suggestions,
to me the right hand although at first I thought was lean, is actually tan so I think thats what I am after.

the left hand is dry not oily so carbon? which leads me to to rich... i would think a 1/8 turn of my air mix should do it? in or out?

Lawrgj,

It looks like you didn't use the steel rectangular insert when you bolted your commandos to the rear exhaust mounts. I've read in the tech somewhere that the bolts have a tendency to break free from the channel on the exhaust if you don't use it. Don't know if this will happen but I'm going to try to use that insert when fabricating my bracket.

The carbon could be coming from the valve stem seals, do you see any blue smoke?

Those short stem signals look great, wish I thought of them before I bought mine.

can be many reasons for the plug difference, if you have points timing, the timing could be different from one side to the other, carbs might not be balanced, or just not adjusted correctly,

^This. The soot on the right hand plug is unburned fuel. Too much fuel, too little air, weak spark. Check 'em all.

Hey guys! Rounding the bend at last,

I have been tinkering for a few weeks now and am finally close to the light!
I had to get some fuel filters on and then didnt like how big they were. So I found some new ones that will go on when I pull the carbs off.
I was trying to get my tuning schedule worked out and was about to start with cam chain, when I realized that my cover bolt was stuck to the adjuster. asked a quick query on here and have it sorted.
So cam chain done, and valves set.
moving on to carbs I had them all synced perfect. it is amazing what a difference the carbs can make to this thing!

So I have a few issues left,
the big two are...

Disk brake (front) is making noise, it rubs on every revolution in a spot, however, I checked the disk and it is straight?!? so I will loose and tight everything up front and see if it was just off.

and, My right carb is overfilling. so off the bike to check float height,

hopefully those two will be victories and I will have one damn nice machine.

oh, also I have popping out the right cyl. so I am assuming it will get taken care of with bowl height adj. otherwise its on to mix

One last thing, I will make a more formal thanks later when I am done, lol. but seriously, I could not have even thought about getting to this point without the help of everyone on this forum. I have received so much advise, tips, tricks, tutorials, and moral support. I really appreciate what everyone has contributed, My father will be very proud when he see' sthis bike brought back from the dead. no one thought it could be done and you all made it seem simple. thank you.

the best... today I removed my carbs, fixed my float bowl, which btw was at about 17-18mm so pretty far out. hooked it all back up and low and behold, no more leak out the overflow, waiting for battery to start her and test...

now I really need to figure out whats up with my brake!?!

Great to hear that your almost there lawrgj! You'll have to post some nice outside in the sun pics when your done riding her.Great work man!

getting there! So I got her running again tonight all buttoned up.
at first i was scared when it would not start, then realized that I had taken out all the gas when working on carbs and had to re prime her.

So a couple of issues.
If I am at the factory setting of 1 1/2 +/- 1/2 i get the right side popping. if i come in a little it doesnt do it.

also any ideas on the front end? the brake sitch

Hey all just an update!

first of all my dad told me, " always make sure you use the right tool" lol
IMG_0900_zpsd1004e52.jpg

also, this is the pic I said I would post for someone a long time ago! SORRY!

IMG_0895_zps1c2690e4.jpg

ha! that is gone now anyway on went the heiden tuning oil cooler kit!

and now for my last ( hopefully ) issue, my front brake grinding noise...
I measured my rotor 3 times, and it is straight and within tolerance, all spacers are installed, forks straight, and wheel true.

I was getting a grab and grind once a revolution. not normal brake noise,
so I broke down and took apart my brakes... this is what I found!
IMG_0911_zps6f6afa01.jpg

metal shavings?!?
it seems they are coming from the tabs on the spacers...
the ones shown here
IMG_0915_zps3715c71f.jpg

this is not ok!
IMG_0908_zpsa1f60426.jpg

so I put it back together, and it seems better but can't really tell yet, I have to run her down the street but it is too wet out! I didnt do all this work to get her wet.

any opinions?

I'm not like'n them metal shavings. They don' look like they are coming form the 'clips to me. I think you really need to know where that metal is coming from.

Is the caliper rebuilt piston removed gunk cleaned out from behind the seal. Are the sliding caliper mounting pins moving freely in the mount?

gggGary, I dont like it either! caliper is rebuilt, gunk gone, I had these ultrasonic'd about 35 times! cleaned well to say the least, new seals etc... painted and assembled, only original parts are the calipers themselves and the piston, which was fine. but what are the mounting pins?

Get that wheel in the air use your screw driver stethoscope and track down that noise.

Pin part #6 needs to slide freely in and out inside the rubber boot #6.

DISC_BRAKE_-_CALIPER__XS650DEE006501F.png

it does ride free gary, and the noise is coming from inside the caliper once a revolution, I have now removed the disk 3 times and checked for true and thickness, its dead on

Back