1978-1980 XS650E,F and G and Supplements Svc Manual

The online PDF download is woefully poor on picture quality..so bad that i cannot distinguish what it is i'm supposed to see...

I have no doubt that will still be available next week because that price is very high. Keep searching and be patient, and you should be able to do better. I bought a few off eBay over the years and never paid more than around $20 for them. First one was the full E model ('78) manual and included supplements for the F ('79) and G ('80) models. Last one I picked up was the same but also included the H model ('81) supplement.

full

Thanks 5twins...I was planning to make an offer a bit lower than their asking price..but i can see they think its worth its weight in gold...I would imagine prices have risen a tad since you bought yours...I'm for saving money however i wont let a unique opportunity slip away...if i deem it worthwhile to persue...I do like it..its complete...I'll keep looking just the same though...;)

That's the thing, that isn't anything special. Yamaha only published full service manuals every 3 or 4 years. Models in between that got little supplements outlining any changes to them. They were made to be used with the last full manual. They were published separately so if you had an older full manual, you could just buy the supplement to use with it. But, they also did newer printings of the full manuals that included the supplements in them. That manual I posted the pic of has the full E model manual in it along with the F, G, and H supplements. To me, it's the ultimate '78 and later model manual. It covers all aspects and changes to those models. Granted, it doesn't have any info on the '82 J and '83 K models, but those are pretty much the same as the H model with just some cosmetic differences. And the best thing is, I only paid $10 for it, lol.

So if i just bought my model year supplement i would still need the 1st 1978 Service manual..?

L started with a Clymer's book.
I have collected an assortment of factory books over the years. My first was the TX650A, XS650 B,C and D book. Yellow cover With a steel strap binding so you could ad the supplements to it. I then got the Grey cover 71-74 manual. Just a glued up book but has holes punched to put in a binder. Then the 78 XS650E book and added the SE, SF/2F and the G/GS books.
The later years I down loaded.
The 77 I don't have that model covered but the 76 is pretty close.
I don't think I paid more than $20 shipped for the full books, The supplements less than $10. I didn't buy the cheapest I saw, I tried to get ones that looked in good shape. Not dirty or torn.
I have also add a Hayne's book to my collection. Just to round it out. Some people have one but not the others. This way when some one refers to something in there book I can look in the same book to see what they are talking about or can ferer them to the ight place in the book to find what the are looking for.
Leo

Yes, that's what you're looking for. It will have the full E model manual in it along with all supplements up to the '81 H model. That's a newer printing than the one I pictured. They changed the covers several times over the years.

You're getting an '80 model, right? You will need a manual that at least includes the supplements up to the '80 G model. '80 was a big change year on these. The carbs were changed from BS38s to BS34s and the points ignition was replaced with an electronic one. That's why a manual that only covered '78-'79 would be no good to you. Why I like a manual that goes a bit further, to at least the '81 H model, is because the BS34 carbs got changed a bit from '81 on (plastic floats, eventually a cable operated choke). There were also more "safety" relays added (clutch, sidestand).

OK Thats it ?all in one manual..no need for a supplement because its already in there? Just trying to be clear because my meds have my head cloudy...LOL
The only problem is that the sale ends in 14 hours or so..I am not having any funds till next week...
I may just buy Jim's and then grab the G supplement for another $5.00......and still come out better than the 1st deal i posted...

Last edited:
Yes, that's it, an "all-in-one" manual. Don't get just a supplement. They are only like 10 pages long, only covering the changes made to that model. Keep up the search, these things always come up. Eventually, you should be able to find one for a reasonable price.

Last edited: