Sold / Found / Inactive - 1978 xs650 -- $2000

lulu

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm selling my 1978 xs650, ~22,000 miles. In good shape, it needs nothing. Since I bough it in 2004 or 2005, I did not do much to it excepted from the electronic ignition, better sounding mufflers, magura brake cylinder and some stainless brake hose. I'm selling it because I just don't ride it much anymore, I have other bikes.

It's located in Schenectady NY.

PXL_20230402_201204174.jpg

If they are Midnight Blue and in good shape I would be interested in the side covers separate from the rest of the bike. Just sayin

If they are Midnight Blue and in good shape I would be interested in the side covers separate from the rest of the bike. Just sayin
They are Midnight Blue, no dings, but the paint is not great, as far as I remember there are a few scratches, and the emblems fare faded.

I just looked at that Midnight Blue tank and side covers. Not in as good shape as I remembered. I don't think you'd be interested, not worth the shipping.

Would you mind if I asked what the final selling price was?
$1800.
I probably lost some money here. There were lots people asking to see it (on facebook), nobody here.
But I have very little time to spare, and the guy was very decent, understanding that a 35-year old motorcycle will probably need some work.
And generally speaking, I'm bad at business :cussing:

$1800.
I probably lost some money here. There were lots people asking to see it (on facebook), nobody here.
But I have very little time to spare, and the guy was very decent, understanding that a 35-year old motorcycle will probably need some work.
You did good. 10% off asking isn't bad at all.

$1800.
Seems you're bad at math too - that's a 45-year-old bike. ;) And yes, I'm bad at business too. I'm a very good mechanic, and friends and family have told me I should start a business. Good mechanic does not equal good businessman. I know my limitations and I tried my hand at being a service manager at a Kawasaki dealer, but I found I have a low tolerance for liars who think I'm buying their bullshit story, and stupid people, which it seems much of the public consists of.

$1800 is a reasonable price for that bike. Just trying to get a feel for the current market here in upstate NY. I'm just the other side of Syracuse.

I bought my SG in 2018 for $350 (barn find). See avatar. Complete and with 6778 miles on it. After carb rebuilds, new tires (had original factory rubber), resurrecting both brakes and a bunch of other stuff, she's at 10,000 miles now. I'd kill for another $350 complete XS650 these days.

Last edited:
Back