Wanted - 1978 XS650 Standard Tin Wear in GREEN

Gordon in nc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I know it's a long shot but.....................I'm in search of GREEN 1978 XS650 Standard side covers and tanks.....still in stock colors.

Contact me through my inbox if you have something lying around you want to turn into cash.

Thank you in advance........Gordon in NC

....not to hijack, but I’d love a bunch of good photos of green tins as I’m trying match the colour to automotive paint codes....

Thanks for any input!

Pete

All you have to do is take the part down to a PPG or DuPont automotive paint jobber and have it read. The device takes a reading from 5 angels and this info is downloaded to find the best formula for a color match or print a new formula altogether.:thumbsup:

halfmile.........yep I'm pretty sure that's what he'll do with it. I "could" but I don't paint.....the fellow that did ALL my painting for decades has retired and I hate to bother him. ( well, we're still close friends but I need to pick and choose my favors from him nowadays) I wouldn't know who to trust getting that info and sending it out to be used as Gospel.....so I'll let those boys figure it out. He's going to get a NOS side cover and a weathered one.....not sure of the look he's after either.

Green.........1978 XS650E who would have thought........Gordon in NC

I don't know if this helps but the colour code I was given for spruce green is "SGM 00T4"

Hi LondonCabby - yes, I’ve got that info too, but modern paint vendors can’t replicate the colour that code denotes because it isn’t in their system.

What I’m trying to do is assemble a listing that cross references the 1970s-80s colours of our bikes to modern automotive paint codes which can be replicated anywhere.

I’m not sure how far I will get with this, but I think it’s worth a try and it sure would be useful for folks who are restoring old bikes.

Pete

In the 60-70`s and early 80`s everything was mainly Enamel, lacquer, or some type of acrylic. These finishes were fairly easy to duplicate and were cross referenced from one brand to the other. Base clear, mid coat, tri coat became big in the early 90`s. The aluminium metallic was replaced with different pearls. High solids, low VOC followed and air dry paints gave way to catalyzed (2 Part) urethane. Now the trend is for Water Base B/C.
Most of the major automotive paint companies have a Color Library. Not sure how far back it goes but a jobber probably still has access. Good Luck.

In the 60-70`s and early 80`s everything was mainly Enamel, lacquer, or some type of acrylic. These finishes were fairly easy to duplicate and were cross referenced from one brand to the other. Base clear, mid coat, tri coat became big in the early 90`s. The aluminium metallic was replaced with different pearls. High solids, low VOC followed and air dry paints gave way to catalyzed (2 Part) urethane. Now the trend is for Water Base B/C.
Most of the major automotive paint companies have a Color Library. Not sure how far back it goes but a jobber probably still has access. Good Luck.

Thanks HalfMile - great info.

I tried this avenue and have been told that while they do have libraries of automotive paint codes, this resource doesn’t extend to bikes - with the possible exception of Honda (which of course was, and remains, a car company as well).

Green Covers.JPG
Headed to MaxPete Monday............packed like they are 800 year old pieces of pottery.

Gordon in NC

View attachment 151771 Headed to MaxPete Monday............packed like they are 800 year old pieces of pottery.

Gordon in NC

oooohhhhh....pretty!

They will be analyzed and cared for as sent to me and then mailed back in the same condition via Mailman’s compadres!

thanks again Gordon!

Pete

It really is a pretty color. I'm from the South and have always considered GREEN motorcycles bad luck.......Almond Brothers throwback?????.....(even though I think that bike was more of a blue??????)....I think thats what started that old wife's tale????? Hard to shake old stuff like that. Betcha I'm not the only one who's heard that.

Gordon in NC........too old to rock and roll....and.... too wore out to give a shit

So, coming to this thread maybe after the fact. I have a full set of '78 green tinware that in all probability I will not be using. This is primarily because the tank has a few pinholes and leaks. Oddly (?), when I initially looked inside, the tank looked darn decent. Still does. But it leaks, in a few spots.

I've found a man in Mass who "claims" he can weld it up (TIG, I'm sure) with very little damage to surrounding paint. Well, maybe. He gets $50/hour to fix, said it would most likely be about a $200 fix. In the meantime, I came across a black '78 tank in decent shape also, which is now on the bike (so I can ride it, yes?). I have many side covers.

So I would part with the set. Obviously you'ld need pics, if interested. No cap or badges (on the other tank).

Back