Wanted - 1978 XS650E Standard

Gordon in nc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I'm looking for a "nice" running 1978 XS650E Standard. I'm located in North Carolina and I'm willing to drive to come get it. Not interested in a "project", I've got too many of those already. I want something ready to go and looks good. Clear title a must.

Cash on the hip.......Gordon in NC
PM
dad1150@aol.com
336-977-3658

Come on.......you haven't ridden it in over a year. You've had your eyes on anopther bike and you KNOW you could use the cash.

PM..... email....phone......any of them will work.

It'll be going to a loving home.

Gordon in NC

Thanks TM.......I tried this last year and failed. I'm still working and started drawing my SS check so for the time being I have some extra "me" money. A smart man would be rat holeing the money away for a rainy day......but I've never been considered smart so I'd rather buy another motorcycle so I can ride through those rainy days. ;).

I have enough projects in the shop to last me to 2050. Picked up a little Brit 250 for Moto Giro events and it was pretty much done.......I thought......I've been throwing money and time at it for three months now and it still isn't ready.:(

I think the "Green" 78 is beautiful.......but I'm kinda favoring the "Black"........but for the right bike for the right price I'd go green.

It's not the end of the world if it doesn't come around this time........it's out there, I know it is and sooner or later we'll find each other.

Take care......Gordon in NC

Okay, help a fellow out please. If you've followed my journey into XS650's you know I'm still VERY new to them. I've always admired them from afar but never owned one until a couple of years back. Since then, I've been around a couple of 78's but to tell the truth I really didn't know what I was looking at/for. I have lusted after the "darker" color 78 in 650skulls (thank you sir) ID post.......I've seen the green one...but what other color options were there? I "though" what I was seeing in skulls thread was a "black" but now I'm being told there was a "blue". Can somebody set me straight as to what color options the 1978 XS650 Standard came in?

Thanks in advance........clueless in NC, Gordon

TM....geeze you might be right. I know I saw a photo of another 78 and it really did look blue.....the one in skull's ID thread looks black. Is the bubble broken????? Well..............I like Green better than Blue......damnit.

I have worked with gggGary on a couple of small items and he's always treated me well......straight up guy in my book. He's temped me.......and so far hasn't scared me off. It's just SO freaking far to travel and I'm not sure a southern boy should be caught out after dark in that part of the country. :p BUT.........he "might" attend the Dogwood Rally......so who knows, stranger things have happened.

Right now I'm trying to wrap my head around this black and blue thing.

Gordon

Damned MC salesmen, I prolly lied, I think the 78 is metallic black the 79 is Dark metallic blue.
So beat me black and blue.... mmmm dogwood in the spring.

Hey it's my bad......( no surprize there). I was looking at a photo of a 1979.....not paying attention to the year. It was/is Blue. I "think" I might be right and the 1978 came in Green and Black??????? But I'd still like for somebody that knows to help me out here.

The dream continues......in black?????

Gordon in NC

Gary,
I'll trade you a '79 Special for a Standard of any year.:)

I think a Standard seat, bars, tank and tins would convert a '78,'79 Special pretty close......still have that shock angle to deal with.
Yeah, swing arm for drum brake and rear tire size too......heck, just get a Standard......

The '79 Cobalt Blue is a dark blue that can appear black in certain light settings. There may be a very very small metal flake glitter to it in other light settings.

Blue here.
05-19-08_1837.jpg

Black here,
Labor Day trip 2007 (12).JPG

Back