1978 Xs650SE Barn Find

Unfortunately, NGK has apparently stopped making the non-resistor BP7ES so you may have difficulty finding them. All they make now is the resistor version, the BPR7ES. So I think eventually many of us are going to be changing our LB05 resistor plug caps to the non-resistor LZFH caps so we can run the resistor plugs.

I never realized until recently, that I had been running NGK Iridium spark plugs with my factory plug caps , and both were resistor type. It’s funny though, it never seemed to effect the performance. Maybe because I was running a hotter coil? :shrug:

I've ran NGK B8EG in my XS2. Not much more than what the B8ES was.
upload_2021-6-13_11-8-28.png
upload_2021-6-13_11-9-8.png

I never realized until recently, that I had been running NGK Iridium spark plugs with my factory plug caps , and both were resistor type. It’s funny though, it never seemed to effect the performance. Maybe because I was running a hotter coil? :shrug:
If we're talkin' your XS2.... long shot, but that might have something to do with the hard starting when hot.

The XS650SE Supplementary Manual also recommends the Champion N7Y. May be worth checking availability? Certainly listed on Ebay but possible with an extra letter added to the code now??

Note: The Autolite website states that the fine wire plugs improve starting and fuel efficiency.
For NGK B8EG the extension G means fine wire nickel alloy.

Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone,

Hope everyone is having an amazing Friday and is looking forward to the weekend. I have not had to work on the bike since replacing the rotor. Ive put a tank of gas through it and it is running good. Everytime I ride it I'm pleasantly surprised with how much zip it has. It is a blast to ride in town and on back country roads. I hope to go on a 40-50+ mile ride this weekend with some friends if schedules align.

I absolutely love the look of the bike with the bar ends!

Stay safe everyone!

Attachments

• 20210624_142723.jpg
    20210624_142723.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 90
Happy Sunday everyone!

I hope everyone has had a great weekend. I put 75 miles on the bike this weekend without a hitch, other than getting a bumblebee stuck under jacket and getting stung 3 times. I am not sure how much I will be able to ride in the coming weeks as my wife and I are getting our house ready to list. (Maybe moving south) Potentially lots of changes ahead.

Stay safe everyone,

Tim

Good afternoon everyone,

Quick question.

I have been riding the XS all week long back and forth to work and noticed the following when shifting through the gears. Ill rev it to 5k between each gear and the rpms only come down to around 3k. (even if I let the bike coast a little before letting the clutch out) I believe it is the stock front and rear sprocket. Is this normal? I feel like I am unable to use the full rpm range since it only drops about 2k between each shift.

Sorry for the newb questions, it is my first xs and just want to make sure it normal.

Tim

I believe it is normal .. A machine has a design rpm interval And 3 -5 i Think is about the same I use .it can be lower in town
At times a little higher on Highway At times
As long as the response is Good I don't think it is a problem
If the idle is a bit to high it can have problems dropping in rev .and checking that the throttle wire is not sticking Wont hurt.

When you've been riding and the bike is warmed up to operating temp and you come to a complete stop and the idle is 1200, you're good. If the rpm is higher then lower it to 1200. You may have to nurse it with the throttle a bit on first start up but you need the idle at 1200 when hot.

NJ idle is as close to 1200. It sits between 1000 and 1500 once warmes up. Thinking about swapping to a different rear sprocket in the future once my wife and I decide where we are heading now that house has been listed on market.

Tim

Back