1978 Xs650SE Barn Find

Finally got time to stop at my neighbors regarding what he thought was a 650 yamaha. I was wrong about it being in a shed. It has been sitting outside for years, but appears to be 90% there. It will need a full restoration. Motor is seized. It is a TX750. He has the registration. Are parts available and do you guys think it's worth restoring?

Tim

Attachments

• 20210714_160250.jpg
    20210714_160250.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 104
Finally got time to stop at my neighbors regarding what he thought was a 650 yamaha. I was wrong about it being in a shed. It has been sitting outside for years, but appears to be 90% there. It will need a full restoration. Motor is seized. It is a TX750. He has the registration. Are parts available and do you guys think it's worth restoring?

Tim
It’s a very interesting collectible. Parts peculiar to the bike will present a challenge. I think it’s worth slightly more than nothing in its current state. It would be worth a few hundred more in decent condition. It could be a few thousand restored, but there’s no money to be made doing it.
The heavy swingarm is a direct bolt on to the XS650. The rear brake is big and also fits the 650. There isn’t much else of value. Those sure were pretty bikes. I wanted one real bad when I was 14 years old.

Yes, not really worth restoring. They only made it for 2 years so parts would be difficult to find and expensive. The first model year had an engine oiling problem and many lunched the crank within the first few thousand miles. This gave the bike a very bad reputation even though Yamaha fixed it for the next model year. Nobody bought them so they were discontinued. But as mentioned, it's a very good source for some nice, upgraded 650 parts. The wheels and swingarm are direct bolt-in swaps. Since the motors crapped out so early, these chassis parts are usually in very good shape, having gotten very little use, lol.

Tim

Thinking out loud
I believe there is always those who would take it a step further at this point in time being a big twin
A chopper builder can use the motor .
It is rough and there would be things to do ..but some takes that as a challenge
I am not sure if parts are available I cant remember it being sold here at all
That is a risk ... Open the engine and a part is needed and cant be found.
Personally I would look for mileage and trying to get info on the cause for it being left there.
( I notice Mr 5 T has info )
As the most important factor . trying to estimate the grand total for an engine job
I dont care how it looks
Electrics and pipes and so there is a solution one way or another
Who needs shock absorbers and brakes that much
But if its high mileage with a seized motor it can be over.
A little patina is only charming but the engine and gearbox must work
Without massive costs
Its the 750 that makes the difference as I see it .If it was smaller it would be scrapped.

Lot of good parts on the bike that may be swapped straight into an XS.............swingarm is bulkier and used as an upgrade. Rear drum brake is bigger than an XS650 and also considered an upgrade. Wheels/hubs will swap straight into an XS650, front guard bolts onto a 74-76 XS650, brake/clutch levers and the MC may have some value. will if it isn't seized beyond repair. small stuff like axles.

If by chance the TX has had the sump extension put on it then that alone is worth good money to a restorer. Part of their, (TX750's), problem was the crank frothed up the oil causing it to starve. Solution was to extend the sump to hold more oil...........Cant get them anymore and there is no aftermarket solutions.

There are restorers out there who would be interested in parts once you got what you wanted

Long as the effort involved and getting rid of the large pile of scrap that will remain seems like a workable trade off for the few parts that are not corroded beyond usefulness. The idle adjust knobs on a TX750 are cool... :D

I have to find time to get back over there to see how the swing arm and stuff look. Lots going on at the moment. My house is up for sale and if I do get it I'd have to find storage for it until it is pieced apart. If it was an XS it would already be home haha

Tim

I have to find time to get back over there to see how the swing arm and stuff look. Lots going on at the moment. My house is up for sale and if I do get it I'd have to find storage for it until it is pieced apart. If it was an XS it would already be home haha

Tim
One of my older brothers has one from new
It spent more time in the shop than out probably a few thousand miles on it
He still has it in dry storage but won't part with it don't know why as he'll never get it running
I'll bug him again next time I'm out there

Good morning everyone,

I have not been able to ride in a few weeks, but while out in the garage getting things ready to go camping I noticed some more oil on the front of the engine. I did some investigating and believe it is coming from the front rocker covers. I took one cover off and there was no gasket. There is an o-ring on the inside of the cover. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't there be a gasket as well?

Thanks,

Tim

Attachments

• 20210729_110404.jpg
    20210729_110404.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210729_110354.jpg
    20210729_110354.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210729_110344.jpg
    20210729_110344.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 68
Good morning everyone,

I have not been able to ride in a few weeks, but while out in the garage getting things ready to go camping I noticed some more oil on the front of the engine. I did some investigating and believe it is coming from the front rocker covers. I took one cover off and there was no gasket. There is an o-ring on the inside of the cover. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't there be a gasket as well?

Thanks,

Tim
O'ring (packing) is all you need, but you need new ones. Packing or gasket is an either or situation, not both.

Pop the o-ring out and flip it over. That will present a "new", unused side facing out and many times it will seal up again. I did this to my '78 many years ago and the covers are still sealing fine. I never had to use the replacements I got from MikesXS, they're still in the bag, lol. But, the cost for original replacements, or even the MikesXS ones, is quite high, so we've tracked down generic replacements. The original thickness is a rather odd 2.8 mm and not easy to find, but the commonly available 3mm thick size fits and works just fine .....

M0PkYiR.gif

Looks like the 3 hole cover on the right side may be leaking some too. With those, they are symmetrical so you can install them in any of 3 positions. Sometimes one position seals better than another. So, if leaking, remove the cover, rotate it 120°, and re-install.

I believe they both are leaking. I don't see any oil seepage below the head so I believe I fixed that issue when I retorqued the head. I will try flipping the o-ring and rotate the covers and see if this helps. If not, thanks for the McMaster-Carr part #!

Tim

Back