1978 Xs650SE Barn Find

Unfortunately, you can't rotate the 4 hole cover, it only fits on one way. That will require a flipped or new o-ring. Make sure the cover and head sealing surfaces are totally clean when you install it.

Good afternoon everyone!

I replaced all the o-rings on the rocker covers, I believe I have fixed the oil leaks as I have not seen any more oil seepage.
I also found a free moment to install the rear sissy bar. I think it looks pretty good on the bike! It's the perfect size to hold my backpack. I am not sure how much riding I'll do in the coming months as I have to pack to move. House is under contract! Hopefully moving south before winter in NY!

Stay healthy everyone!

Tim

Attachments

• 20210821_094749.jpg
    20210821_094749.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210821_094756.jpg
    20210821_094756.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210821_101229.jpg
    20210821_101229.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 100
Good evening everyone,

I know I said earlier in thread I wouldn't sell my XS650, but I think the time has come as it is some what of a project bike to get 100% and I am most likely moving south. I don't have the time to dedicate to restoring the bike as I planned when I bought it. I would love to see bike go to someone who has the time and will ride it.

Also, this past week it fried another rotor. My buddy who ones a shop had a HHB PMA, so we put that on and bike runs like a top again.

I'll be posting a for sale ad shortly.

I want to say thank you everyone for all the help and advice given to me to get my xs from not running to road worthy.

This will not be my last XS.

Tim

Well guys and gals,

The XS is staying with me. After putting some more love into the bike, i.e. good used rear axle and adjusters I don't think I can part with the girl. It just is a blast to ride. I am hoping to go on a charity ride on the 25th then she will go into storage as I get ready to move to Clarksville, TN. At 35,000 miles it also maybe time to do a rebuild once I'm all settled in TN.

Have an awesome day!

Tim

Good afternoon everyone,

Quick question.

I have been riding the XS all week long back and forth to work and noticed the following when shifting through the gears. Ill rev it to 5k between each gear and the rpms only come down to around 3k. (even if I let the bike coast a little before letting the clutch out) I believe it is the stock front and rear sprocket. Is this normal? I feel like I am unable to use the full rpm range since it only drops about 2k between each shift.

Sorry for the newb questions, it is my first xs and just want to make sure it normal.

Tim

I can't even believe so many new motorcycles don't have tachometers. I would say I generally shift around about 3000 RPM. I've never rev'ed my good old stock 1978 XS650SE that high as you do except under extraordinary circumstances. But after refurbishing when it had sat unused for years, the RPMs would not come down properly. Very much like you described. My brother had rebuilt the stock carbs but then I disassembled and went through them again myself. I found the diaphragm was loose on one of the carbs. By loose I mean I could turn the diaphragm while holding the piston. I could not find a replacement diaphragm and did not find any acceptable replacement carbs. My bike is like new compared to most of this vintage, at 17,000 miles always garaged, but I swear sometimes it's just one part I can't find, or one repair I can't do from its being retired to the junk yard. So I bought some replacement "diaphragms" from someplace that are kind of like a large rubber ring that grips around the piston to seal the vacuum. But I never used those because I tried this first: I was actually able to use regular "super-glue" to glue the diaphragm where it attaches to the top of the piston. I carefully used as little glue as possible, but I repeatedly applied several "coats" of super-glue. When I gently tried to turn the diaphragm and the repair seemed to be holding and sealing the piston to the diaphragm I waited a couple of days and then reassembled the carbs. It has run properly for the past more than a dozen years since!
I should also mention I recalibrated the floats at that time, and I also "synchronized" the carbs using my method (maybe it's a common method, but I thought of it all by myself) which is basically like this: With the still partially disassembled but fully connected together carbs on the bench. In a dark room with only one overhead light directly above as needed to see the work. Then place a small (harbor fright) flashlight inside each carb shining directly onto the butterfly valves. Then while looking into the opposite end of the carbs, the light is visible only around the edges of the butterflies. Turn the synch screw until the valves are as fully closed as possible and the small amount of visible light is equal on both carbs. In other words I guess, the butterfly valves were both open to exactly the same degree.
I wouldn't know which one to get, or how to use any of those expensive carburetor synchronizing contraptions. If you do, that would be a good thing. But I coudn't imagine how to reach and turn that screw with the carbs and everything installed on the machine.

Like I said it runs properly since doing all that and everything I did before that to rule out anything else. The only remaining anomaly being this: When it's first cold started and after I turn off the "choke," I have to put like a matchbook cover, or a folded over business card, under the throttle idle screw to increase the idle to ~1200 to prevent it stalling as it warms up and I put on my helmet and gloves or whatever. As it warms up I unfold the business card and eventually remove it as the RPM gradually increases. Then when I've driven half a mile or something, and on subsequent "warm" restarts it doesn't stall at idle after that. I don't recall having to do this when I bought the bike new!

Now I remember another "anomaly." Yamaha (that's what I call the bike) seeps oil from around the top engine gasket, on the front left side. After reading everything here about torquing the head bolts, I'm going to try it. Over the years, I've thought about doing that every time the tank was off. But I was always afraid to remove the engine mounts. Like if I did the engine might fall out or something. Now I realized I'll need to remove the spark plugs; Might as well replace them at the same time. I would've thought that would be the easiest part of the job. But they don't make them anymore! Now I'm trying to find the proper replacement for my NGK BP7ES spark plugs. Which is why I was reading this thread to begin with. One might expect some parts to become difficult to find on an old vehicle... but spark plugs? !? I can't imagine them superseding a non-resistor plug with a resistor plug to begin with. That's a completely different incompatible plug! But then Partszilla advertises and sells them on their website as NGK BP7ES #1034, with no mention there whatsoever the part is discontinued and superseded. Clearly deliberate, negligent, or they just don't care. They just knowingly send you a wrong part. Small wonder they don't allow reviews. Then when I wanted to return them, their response was so dismissively trite and inadequate that I was offended and angered... To the point where I may boycott both NGK and PartsZilla (as if they care). Anyway, since I can't get my $22.10 back I guess I'm stuck with four NGK BPR7ES spark plugs no one will ever use. I may try to replace the NGK LB05F 5Kohm spark plug caps my brother put on the bike just because they advertise NGK in big white letters on them, if for no other reason.

Hey, if you can help me with my finding the correct spark plug problem, I will be thankful. But how will I know? Does this website alert you when you logon, or with an email or something if someone replies to your post?

I wish you all much love and happiness,
R.

I started the process of swapping different bars onto the bike. Ran into a hiccup with the trottle cable. Metal bracket that goes into the handlebar control is to big to fit into the used handlebar control I picked up from a forum member. Guess I'll have to hunt down a handlebar control that has the lights on/off feature.

Tim
THE LOWER BARS LOOK MUCH BETTER AND SO COOL.

Well guys and gals,

The XS is staying with me. After putting some more love into the bike, i.e. good used rear axle and adjusters I don't think I can part with the girl. It just is a blast to ride. I am hoping to go on a charity ride on the 25th then she will go into storage as I get ready to move to Clarksville, TN. At 35,000 miles it also maybe time to do a rebuild once I'm all settled in TN.

Have an awesome day!

Tim

Well I just looked up Clarksville, looks like a beautiful place to live, lots of green and very scenic, right on the Cumberland River and tons of history! Good thing you’re hanging on to that bike, you’re in prime motorcycle riding territory! :thumbsup:

Well I just looked up Clarksville, looks like a beautiful place to live, lots of green and very scenic, right on the Cumberland River and tons of history! Good thing you’re hanging on to that bike, you’re in prime motorcycle riding territory! :thumbsup:
I don't know if the Land Between the Lakes Rally is still running, but it's at your door if it is. It used to be on the 650 Society calendar.

Something with fuel injection.
And when you can't fix it due to a chip shortage or some such nonsense, the 650 Yammie is still the go to. (Assuming you don't let it deteriorate.)

I told my wife I am in the market for a newer motorcycle also. Something with fuel injection. I have been looking at the Royal Enfield INT650.

The future Mrs. and I test-rode a Triumph Speedmaster a couple months ago. It was really strange to ride a motorcycle that didn't vibrate! :laugh:
It was really comfortable, plenty of smooth power, and handled pretty good. Not that we dragged a knee or anything but for the kind of riding we do it seemed to fit the bill pretty good. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but it's on the "serious consideration" list.

Yes, me too, but sometimes you just can't beat a new one, especially something like that Royal Enfield. I test drove one and it was very nice, maybe too nice, lol. Very refined and smooth compared to my XS. I suppose I could learn to love one but the XS650 will still always be a fav.

Yes, me too, but sometimes you just can't beat a new one, especially something like that Royal Enfield. I test drove one and it was very nice, maybe too nice, lol. Very refined and smooth compared to my XS. I suppose I could learn to love one but the XS650 will still always be a fav.
Yeah, I rode it too. I keep saying I don’t care for the 270 engine, but I didn’t mind it a bit.
Yes, the Interceptor left me with a favorable impression.

Is that what that is, a 270° motor? I could learn to love it I'm sure, with a little throatier exhaust. If I had one, I think I'd try fitting Commando mufflers. I see they do offer a performance exhaust but it costs $500+ and you know what it gains for you? One HP, lol.

Back