1979 or 1980 Model year

53xs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking at a couple serial number lists, Still not sure what I have. The number starts with 2F0 which I have been told makes it 1979, but it has TCI ignition, BS34 carbs. Engine and frame have matching numbers as well as the sticker on the neck. Any ideas. Thanks

I do not have picture of the bike, Just picked up last week and been too cold to do much since. What details would narrow it down?

Hi 53,
if it has a cast grabrail, lift off seat, artillery wheels and a rear disk brake it's an XS650SG
If it has a chromed steel tube grabrail, side hinge seat, wire wheels and a rear drum brake it's an XS650 Special II.

It has all the xs650gs parts you list. The sticker on neck says 10/79 which i assume is the build date?

Yes 10/79 build makes it an 80

From skulls 2nd chart in the sticky at the top of the garage;

2F0 200101 to 250000 is an 80 Your BS34's should have brass floats.

I have an '80 SG (rear disc brake). Maroon, or whatever the factory called it. I love it. Sure, there are areas that can be modernized on a 36 yr old bike. Shocks, ignition maybe steering head bearings. It's one of the things that make the XS650 a great bike. It can be built/modified to your style. Enjoy yours.

Back