1979 xs659 going batteryless??

BlackSlag

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I recently picked up a 1979 xs650, and it's my first build. Going for a 70's style chopper and I want to go battery, kick start only. But I'm new to builds and curious as to what I need to do.

I've start start with purchasing a PMA kit and capacitor but not sure if I'll need anything else. Also no clue on the wiring for lights and such, trying to keep very little electronics and what not.

Any help with be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4127.JPG
    IMG_4127.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 320
Welcome to the forum, BlackSlag.

More info than you'll ever need is buried in this forum. Pour thru the "Tech" section, view the sticky threads in the "Garage" forum, look at the numerous threads tagged with "build"...

Sense the Wiring diagram you really want to see is Not showing because of Photobuckets screw up... I'll post it here for ya !
.....Bob.......

Attachments

• xs650 battery-less ig..jpg
    xs650 battery-less ig..jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 856
  • xs650 battery-less ig..jpg
    xs650 battery-less ig..jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 379
Or...you could go with the stock setup and just go with supercapacitors in place of the battery.
there would be enough reserve power from the capacitors for LED lights for a long time but probably not enough power to crank the engine with the E-start... but it is an option..... problem is the supercapacitors are extremely spendy... and 3 of them to fit in the battery box side by side would probably cost around $50.00 each I don't know the value they would need to have probably 14v at as many MFD as you could get
and wire them in parallel.... I do know a guy on You Tube replaced his car battery with super capacitors and it has the ability to start the car easily .... something like that for the Bike's battery would really be the cat's meow !
Bob.........

Hi BlackSlag and welcome,
by all means upgrade the bike's points/mechanical advance ignition to an auto-advance Pamco but stay with a battery and the stock charging system.
You'll need a battery to power up lights that don't quit if the engine stalls and to run the signals and 129dB horn that the bike also needs.
And don't drink the PMA koolade; those things are a step back to the 1930s and not in a good way either.

Back