1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

1979 Yamaha XS650 Chopper Build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Surfrat28, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Surfrat28

Surfrat28 XS650 Enthusiast

My name is AR and I have been building this bike for a year now off and on with the help of this forum and the amazing people nice enough to respond to my past threads. Just wanted to share my progress on the build through this year. I had bought this bike from a garage completely stock only thing that had been changed was that the engine was bored out to a 707cc. I know I will get a little crap for chopping the xs650 but my inspiration was the Fong Brothers XS650 builds with a little of vintage chopper style bikes I have been seeing at Born Free Shows. Just a few more cosmetic things will be changed to give it a little more personality.

Hope you enjoy.

Attached Files:

TwoManyXS1Bs, mrtwowheel and Moabite like this.
  2. Woods

Woods XS650 Member

Pa
    Great looking, Did a nice job on it. I just ordered my weld on hardtail kit from tc Bros last night. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours!

Surfrat28 likes this.
  3. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Nice looking chop, Surfrat! :thumbsup: Very clean lines. Funny, how those tanks look better on an Xs than they do on a "Sportster". Can you please give us (ME!!!) some details regarding that springer front end, specifically that mini-drum wheel...

4. figure8

figure8 XS650 Guru

Could be wrong but it looks like a Hallcraft mini drum.

5. YesX650

YesX650 XS650 Enthusiast

Oh this is clean! I really dig springers. Is yours wishbone style? Also where did you get it :)

6. Surfrat28

thank you, I wish it was wishbone style it is a DNA springer converted to fit the xs650. Its very narrow handles pretty good on the freeway. b+%CTheLS3aq8PVAIrQJsA.jpg

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  7. Surfrat28

It is from lowbrow customs, it is the cycle standard 21" mini brake drum wheel. Honestly its been giving me trouble and has been locking up need to take it apart and figure out why it's happening.

Attached Files:

8. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    “Who’s motorcycle is this?” “It’s not a motorcycle baby it’s a chopper.” Who’s chopper is this?” Zed. “Who is Zed?” “Zeds dead baby.....Zeds dead.”

I love your bike. Nicely done.

Surfrat28 likes this.
  9. Surfrat28

Again I had this bike full stock except for the bored out engine. Here is a few pics of the frame I had welded up. I kept more than normal on the frame due to possibly adding a joke shift. I took this idea from the Fong Brothers I loved the look and it also made it that I could keep my brake system in place and just bolt on.
    IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0689.JPG

figure8 and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.