1980 Bobber Build on Mr. Lucky's Frame

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
I've been documenting and showing some pics over on the V-Star 1100 forum but I figured I should document the process over here as well. I bought a 1980 with cast wheels, disc F&R, and ~20,000 miles for $975. It does run, but the battery is shot. Also, at about half throttle, it would cut out like it's running on one cylinder. This will be a build for my wife to ride, but I'm sure I'll just have to take it out for a spin now and then. :D Here's where we started:

SDC11896.jpg

A garage full of Yamahas. Front to back, 1980 XS650, 2007 V-Star 1100, 2007 Stratoliner.

SDC11903.jpg

First thing to sort out was that throttle cutting out issue. I found from xjwmx a thread about his issues with the TCI box, and it sounded pretty similar to my issues. I bought $2 worth of diodes from Radio Shack and fired up the soldering iron.

The inside of my TCI box:

SDC11912.jpg

A closer shot of the 4 diodes I replaced in the upper right hand corner of the box:

SDC11911.jpg

The old "spider egg" diodes that were removed:

SDC11908.jpg

This did the trick, running like a champ now!

With winter fast approaching, I needed to do a lot of work to my garage to get it ready for all the time I'll be spending out there. First on my list was lighting. I had a 4' 2 Bulb T12 fixture that wouldn't turn on under 50° and the two bulbs in my garage door opener. That wasn't going to cut it. I hung 6 - 4' 2 Bulb T8 fixtures that are rated for 0° start with 6500°K daylight bulbs in them. I also changed out the ballast on my original fixture to a similar ballast and the same T8 bulbs. What an amazing difference. Don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

Before:

SDC11966.jpg

After:

SDC11964.jpg

SDC11962.jpg

I had an exterior wall of my garage that was not insulated or drywalled. Spent a fair amount of time getting that insulated and drywalled, and cleaning and organizing the garage in the process. I also built some shelving out of a couple of 2x4 Basics kits. Excellent shelving and very strong.

SDC11970.jpg

Now that it's done, I can move on to more exciting things!

Started tearing into the bike a bit. I wanted to get the oil (and sludge) out along with the old gas. I had placed an order for a bunch of parts I figured I would need, gaskets, rubber parts, carb kits, filters, etc. I've been keeping track of all the expenses in a spreadsheet, though I probably won't want to see the number at the bottom when I'm done. :doh:

I drained the old oil, and pulled the lower oil filter cover. As usual, the filter had a major blowout. I cleaned out all the sludge and nasties, applied several coatings of gasket remover, and cleaned up the mating surfaces. As I put the cover back on, one of the M6 screws snapped off. I pulled the remaining screws, and there was just a bit of thread still sticking out of the block. I clamped on my best vise grips, and turned it out. Went to the hardware store for 6 new M6 screws. Lesson learned here, don't trust 30+ year old hardware.

A few pics of Saturday's progress:

SDC11997.jpg

SDC11999.jpg

SDC12000.jpg

SDC11998.jpg

Sunday, I wanted to focus on getting the tank off. I had let the fuel drain out the day before, but I let the tank continue to dribble out into a catch cup overnight. The fuel filter looked like it had rocks in it. Surprisingly, the filter was made in Chicago. I bet that company is no longer in business, at least not in Chicago. At least all the nasty stuff was on the right side of the screen.

Tank off, wiring harness pulled, and headlight off.

SDC12006.jpg

SDC12007.jpg

SDC12008.jpg

I did a little work before dinner last night. More gasket removal, which tends to be a process of scrape a little, put on some gasket remover, work on something else for a while, scrape a little, etc. I managed to pull the rear wheel, chain guard, carbs, and carb mounts. I also put new plug caps on the stock coil before throwing it into the "Reuse" pile. I also loosened all the engine mount bolts and removed the head stay assembly.

SDC12013.jpg

SDC12009.jpg

The new carb mounts from Don James at www.jbmindustries.com. I emailed him to see when he would have mounts available again, and he scrounged up a set of cores and molded a pair up for me. Thanks, Don!

SDC12011.jpg

SDC12012.jpg

SDC12010.jpg

For $800 I would expect a frame built by someone that can weld. Those are some of the nastiest welds I have seen on a "professionally" built frame. I'm sure it's gonna be cool ride when done though.

Well, I set out to replace the clutch pushrod bushing, seal, and convert to the one piece pushrod tonight. I had the perfect sized rare earth magnet that I bought in a 10 pack from Harbor Freight that fit perfectly on the end on the old outer pushrod. I was able to get the ball bearing with it, but I just couldn't get the inner pushrod. I pushed it back in and drilled out the bushing, then it came out. I chamfered the outer lip, put on some Threebond, and slowly pushed it in. I think I got it on the first try. Would I be able to tell if I really screwed it up? It seemed like it went in fine. I put in the new pushrod and buttoned it back up before dinner.

Kent

SDC12014.jpg

SDC12016.jpg

Last edited:
Some more progress today. Engine went in with only a little persuasion from the BFH.

SDC12017.jpg

SDC12018.jpg

It's a roller!

SDC12023.jpg

Ok, so now it's a roller. :laugh:

SDC12024.jpg

SDC12025.jpg

SDC12026.jpg

SDC12027.jpg

SDC12029.jpg

SDC12034.jpg

My impression of the Grape Ape.

SDC12038.jpg

SDC12043.jpg

Should have seen the look on my wife's face when she came home today!

SDC12045.jpg

Kent

Back