1980 Special II / replacing seat

Lou

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I want to replace the seat on my 1980 Special II. It has the side hinges which per the forum, this string 1980 Special II with hinges, I should be able to use the following seat from Texavina: 1978-79 Special seat

Am I correct on this? Any thoughts or concerns on whether this will fit, any modifications I may need to do?

Thanks!

Now, THAT is a fine looking seat !
I can't answer your specific question, but the string you mentioned seems to answer it.
I will mention this : I bought a seat from this manufacturer through EBay, and it is a very nice product.
The advantage to buying this seat you are looking at from EBay, of course, is that you get Buyer Protection if something happens.
For example, the "box" they sent it in was a bit iffy, and piercing damage could have occurred, but didnt.
They are " daytrader-07" on EBay.

the Pan looks to be the same as the original................Don't know about the rear of the seat.......any passenger is going to be humping your arse

Thanks guys, Im in luck with the ar$e humping because I dont usually like having passengers on my motos. I found they either throw my balance off or sit back there freakin out the whole ride :). On the other hand, I dont want a humpback style cafe seat just in case I do come across a cute hitchhiker :) in which case <ahem> a little ar$e humping might be welcome hehe

The main thing I want is not to have to cut my frame at all or install a hoop etc. I dont have welding equipment and these `direct-fit' seats seem like good options. I would go with a stock standard seat, but the Texavina one looks a little lower profile which = cooler (subjective of course)

Hey Dude, was the Ebay seat you bought a direct install or did you need to modify anything? The downside to Texavina is they are overseas so returning the seat if I dont like it means weeks and weeks of waiting +big return shipping costs so I need to make the right choice the first time.

It looks like it would work.
You'll most likely have to transfer your hinges and lock over.
Be carefull there, as removing the bolts holding the hinges and lock will more times than not break, yeah, soak them in penetrating oil and such but be forewarned.
On securing the hinges to the pan and then pining them to the frame hinges .........get the hinge bolts into the pan but don't tighten them down all the way. Insert the hinge pins and then tighten the bolts down into the pan. A millimeter or two of give makes a big difference when you're aligning everything up.
On the lock, should be fine to tighten down as there's a bit of play in the design, it seems.
Looks like you'll be sitting on that grab strap due to where it's located.

Thanks guys, Im in luck with the ar$e humping because I dont usually like having passengers on my motos. I found they either throw my balance off or sit back there freakin out the whole ride :). On the other hand, I dont want a humpback style cafe seat just in case I do come across a cute hitchhiker :) in which case <ahem> a little ar$e humping might be welcome hehe

The main thing I want is not to have to cut my frame at all or install a hoop etc. I dont have welding equipment and these `direct-fit' seats seem like good options. I would go with a stock standard seat, but the Texavina one looks a little lower profile which = cooler (subjective of course)

Hey Dude, was the Ebay seat you bought a direct install or did you need to modify anything? The downside to Texavina is they are overseas so returning the seat if I dont like it means weeks and weeks of waiting +big return shipping costs so I need to make the right choice the first time.
My seat was a direct install. Five minutes. Only a very small, minor mod needed. Their customer service was great.

I got my new seat and wanted to share the outcome. Texavina was good to deal with. Quick on email and shipping was fast too even with the delay getting here from Vietnam. Install was straightforward, sprayed the hinge bolts as suggested to get off old seat and all went together just fine. Seat aligns well and is at least as nice quality as I had hoped for.

Attachments

• Moto seat 1.jpg
    Moto seat 1.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 242
I got my new seat and wanted to share the outcome. Texavina was good to deal with. Quick on email and shipping was fast too even with the delay getting here from Vietnam. Install was straightforward, sprayed the hinge bolts as suggested to get off old seat and all went together just fine. Seat aligns well and is at least as nice quality as I had hoped for.
Looks great !

Back