1980 Stock Ignition?

Just in case, and just so it's in here, Carmo replacement for the TCI.

Carmo_TCI.jpg

https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1271

Also, a forum search on "Carmo", and a Google search on "Carmo ignition" gets more info...

That original stuff may still be fine but the plug caps can and do go bad sometimes. The resistance in them begins to grow and if/when it gets too high, that starts choking off the spark. Easy to check, just remove the cap and measure the resistance through it. Yamaha used a rather oddball resistor value on their caps, about 9K ohms. To me, that higher value is yet another reason to replace them with the normal 5K ohm NGK caps. Besides, the NGK cap is pretty much the standard of the industry and very reliable.
Actually surprised that Phil didnt upgrade these caps...

Only North America got TCi ignition and Vacuum petcocks - the rest knew enough to stay
original.
Pretty sure all 80 and newer got the TCI Iggy.... Which I consider a pretty good system. The coil on mine is still working, however I plan on replacing it. The copper in it was coated and wound 40yrs ago and the insulation is starting to break down. RE the vacuum petcocks.... rebuilding them is easy... just use oem parts and not Mike's rebuild kit... it leaked.

Pretty sure all 80 and newer got the TCI Iggy....

No, Oceania 80/81, (NZ and Australia and any other country that got the Oceania models), didn't and the Euro Standards 80/81, (some sold as 82), didn't..........

Back